Possible scam

Possible scam

Hello!

I have a very recent booking, but I have been having little warning bells going off since last week.  I had someone inquire regarding staying for 4 months.  Asked me lots of questions about how to pay and all that.  Then he said he would book the following week - today.  I felt weird because I couldn't see their photo or reviews.  When he went to book (I sent a special offer) he couldn't complete it.  Long story short, his payment wouldn't go through.  He had to provide a 2nd card.  I am here in California and tenants have so many rights here.  I am worried they will be here, can't pay and then we have to evict them.    It gets weirder.  I am in Real Estate, so I have a program I use for basic background checks.  I ran it - there is nothing on him.  Not age, relatives, nothing.   He said he is coming here and wants to buy a house.  I had asked him if he needed to sell his current home, he said he was going to keep it.  The address that shows up for him on the background check shows it belongs to someone else.  Now I am really nervous.   It could take 60 plus days to get him out.   I did ask for copies of all the state licesnses of the people going to be staying there and I am thinking I should put something in writing.   Is there a place where people list the names of scammers?

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Guy-and-Cassie0  My spidey sense would go up on this one, too. You can definitely see a guest's reviews, that is, if they have any. Click on the circle with the letter in it to the left of your message stream with them. That should take you to their profile page. You won't see a photo until a reservation is confirmed, but you can read their profile info and reviews there. If those things aren't there, it means they haven't filled out any info about themselves, nor do they have any reviews.

There is a guest blacklist on Facebook. I'm not a Facebook user, so can't give you any more info on that, but I'm sure you can find it.

Is this booking imminent? As in today or tomorrow? I'd phone Airbnb and ask for confirmation that the guest's payment was successfully collected. If they say yes, and there ends up being a problem, at least you have a record of their assurance that you'll get paid.

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Have they completed the booking?    For 4 months?

First,  I never,  never,  ever,  ever would allow anyone to establish tenancy-- which a 4 month stay may very well do.   (YMMV,  I don't know the rules in La Quinta but...)

Next,  if they've booked,  I'd look very carefully now that you have a full name,  ask questions if necessary,   (why isn't your name on the property record for X?),  get names and IDs for everyone (hey wait,  why does he need so many people to look for a house),  and if it doesn't add up-- think about calling Airbnb to cancel and call the whole thing off.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Guy-and-Cassie0  Oh, by the way, I kind of missed your first line- there is no way I'd accept a 4 month booking from anyone, let alone someone who seems to be scamming. After a month, they fall under landlord/tenant laws and you'll have a nightmare trying to get them out.