Prevent the phone being used

Dunstan1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Prevent the phone being used

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove/block the landline phone from use? It's a bit of a strange question but we've got Sky Broadband and Talk and we want to prevent the possibility that people will use the phone to phone somewhere which will incure a high price- Anyone have any thoughts on this? Many thanks 🙂 Dunstan

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Dunstan1 

If the phone equipment is connected to the router and not directly to the phone socket, it probably can be disabled within the routers interface or the via the providers interface.

If the phone equipment is connected to the "BT" phone socket, by way of a splitter, joined by the router, then i see no other option then to remove the phone device itself ;>)

(but guest can still plug in one themself, allthough not likely they bring it along...)

No idea if BT or Sky offers 'digital"options to disable/limit outging calls from a landline, in my country it is only possible to disable calls to special (extra charge) numbers, international etc...

Best regards,

Emiel

@Dunstan1     Try searching for a telephone handset that has  “Call Restriction” you need to input the restrictions not sure how expansive that is, or search for an "outgoing call blocker" they can be quite effective, a friend had one to prevent her small children from inadvertently making international calls, a password unlocked it when she wanted to use it.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dunstan1 

In my experience as a live-in host for 6 years I hardly consider this an issue of any sort.

Firstly, a good WiFi means guests can reliably and freely use their mobiles, and have a variety of means of making free calls  WhattsApp, Facebook, etc.

So its very rare that a Guest even asks to use the landline, and whoever has offered to pay; and I can hardly recall accepting their generous offer for pennies or whatever the charge which is negligible.

Perhaps as an absentee host you have greater concern. But I probably wouldn't take special measures.

I would rather write it up in HOUSE RULES politely asking Guests either not to use landline or if they need to with your permission, alternatively to keep a record of their calls. In any case, records will be in your bill.

Thus the only conceivable problem is if Guest flouts your House Rule and calls without informing you; but you will still have record on your phone bill and can send a claim via Airbnb. It will not be disputed because you will not have been in the property, so it must obviously be the Guest.

You can further back this with listing a Deposit.

Payment can be made via Airbnb payment or  Resolution Centre. 

Phone bills are monthly, though you can still check in between time on line for current use of phone.

Airbnb claims can be made up to 60 Days post Guest departure: [See 'Send or Request Money' in Inbox of a booked Guest].

Nakayama0
Level 8
Oyabe, Japan

How about using cord-less phone and hide transmitter/receiver?

@Dunstan1 

Why not just get rid of all land lines? I see you have 2 listings (at a glance they seem to be identical), both entire homes. You could just disconnect and not have an actual "phone" in sight. I doubt a guest would go looking for a land line to make a call anyway~ as long as they have good wifi access. 

If you are talking about a land line in a shared home private room listing set up....... I would take a similar approach. No visible land line "phone" in guest private spaces or shared spaces. Instead, you could keep a cordless phone in your host private space (like the host bedroom or study) and keep the phone nearby when in shared spaces, then put it back in the cradle to be charged at night or during the day when you are absent. 

Even my parents (who are in their late 60s~ early 70s) have gotten rid of their land line a few years ago. I agree with other opinions that even if guests saw a land line, they probably wouldn't think to use it unless it was an emergency and they didn't have their cell phone. 

Noël107
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

There is a lot of good answers here but most people are missing something.

What if for some reason the guess decide to phone a relative on the other side of the world and stay on the call for 3 hours? Then you are good for a massive bill.

Removing the phone is good but still leave the possibility to connect a phone. Very low probability I agree but the damage can be huge if it happen. Especially that you can get a landline phone for less than $10 in the hardware shop next door.

One solution I came up with is to remove the phone and make an enclosure around the phone socket. The enclosure is sealed all around. If the seal is broken then you know what the guest has been up to.

A second solution which I might go for is to opt for an internet provider that provide internet only without phone. Depending on the country you are in that might be possible or not.

A third solution I though about is to register the phone for international calls with unlimited calls. Then let the guest openly use he phone. It could be a nice amenity. You still have to weight the cost vs improvement though.