Problem with Host

Terence33
Level 1
Singapore

Problem with Host

Hello Airbnb, I am writing this post in regards to the home offered below by**

My family of 4 adults and 1 infant booked a 2 night stay at [Host] property in Hoi An. Before this, I had told [Host] that we required a baby cot and that this was something we needed for our child. It was also advertised on the listing that it was baby friendly and that a cot can be provided if needed. It was one of the important reasons why we decided on this home.[Host]told us that it was no problem and that a cot will be provided.

We traveled an hour from Danang to Hoi An. When we arrived at the home, the home was in an extremely dirty state, and that the cot was not in a serviceable condition.

1. The baby cot was infested with ants. There was an ant nest on it and ants were crawling all over it. Not safe or hygienic for our child at all. We told your caretaker in shock about it and your staff said that they could spray it with insecticide and sun it. I’m not sure if spraying insecticide on wood and letting a child sleep in it after is safe. We were not going to risk it. Additionally, there was no cot mattress, and there were wood splints and chips coming out from the sides. We called [Host] on the phone regarding this issue and she apologized and said that the cot had not been used in years.

2. The kitchen area was filthy. The pots and pans were full of food scum. The cooking surfaces had food stains and marks that were not wiped off or cleaned. The freezer had a cooked frozen egg and a box of leftover opened kimchi. I don’t know how long they were in there for. When we inspected the kitchen and saw all the dirt, the caretaker started getting his cleaners to clean up. We were unable to take any photos because the three of them were busy cleaning all the pots and pans, the kitchen stovetop as well as the fridge.

3. There were many house flies and mosquitos in the home. I counted 6 houseflies and my father killed 6 mosquitos.

Looking at the state of affairs, and after some discussion within the family, we decided not to stay. The place was nicely furnished and we were very disappointed that we could not stay at[Host]place and enjoy Hoi An. We spoke to[Host] about the condition of her place, told her it was unacceptable and our decision not to stay. We requested for a refund and she agreed on the phone. If we knew that she would dispute this later, we would have stopped her staff from cleaning and started taking photographs to document the issue.

[Host] also agreed to a refund in our messages in airbnb. Attached in this post are screenshots of my personal conversations with her on the airbnb website. She seemed very agreeable and willing to help us on this issue. However, she proved to be deceitful and dishonest when we realized she was not intending to refund us at all. Airbnb support told us that[Host] was "very firm with her decision that she is not going to provide any refund".

Airbnb support has been very unhelpful and I requested to speak to one of your managers. I received no replies from both airbnb and[Host]. As a consumer, we feel that this entire matter and how it has been handled is unfair, unjust and unethical.

We have been misled by the host in regards to the state of the property, the baby cot, and the refund. I request to speak to one of your managers and also to [Host] directly if possible.

Thank you for your help.

**[Name hidden due to privacy reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Terence33  You have not reached Air BNB staff.  This is a public forum for hosts and guests.  Here is a link for contacting Air BNB about the refund.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Terence33

I am sorry it happens to you.

you should take photos when you arrived and discover all of described. Without photos, it is he said-she said situation.