Providing inexpensive housing to those coming to area for Children's Hospital treatment/services

Mary29
Level 1
Cincinnati, OH

Providing inexpensive housing to those coming to area for Children's Hospital treatment/services

I lost my adult daughter to leukemia in 2010.  We were lucky enough to live about a mile from Cincinnati Children's Hospital.  Our experience made me aware of the blessing my house could be to people coming in from out of town for treatment.  I have explored other options, but they have all been dead ends.  So I got to thinking maybe airbnb would be a great platform for getting the word out.

I would like to open my 2-year old home to families that have someone receiving treatment at Children's and are strapped to afford to stay in area hotels.   I have a lovely home with a finished lower level that could be a blessing to this particular population I believe.  Are there suggestions on how to set up my home for hosting with airbnb that would specifically target patient's families or care team?  I want to offer severely discounted (like $5-10/night) for a lovely two bedroom suite complete with living room, private bath and galley kitchen for the benefit of those in treatment and are strapped with the financial burden of treatment, job loss, etc.   Not sure if airbnb has a specific category for this type of arrangement or not--I haven't been able to find any link on the site for charitable house sharing.

Thanks for any guidance or suggestions any of you have to offer.

Michele in Cincinnati

2 Replies 2
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Mary29

Very sorry for your loss, losing a child it's not for the faint of heart...

You can make an arrangement with your local hospital to reach out to you if they have someone in need of a place... Or you can write on your description to inquire with you about the super special offer if they are going to the hospital...

I'm afraid if you set the price too low it will get booked by  the wrong people... So leave the price high and when the hospital or the guest contact you, you can send a "special offer" with your super discount...

If the hospital already works with any nonprofit organization, you also can work with them and donate (in full or partially) the stay of the patients/guests at your house.  

Thanks for your suggestions.  I have already tried to work this out with Children's and with our local Ronald McDonald House but because of liability issues they have, their legal counsel has advised them against giving out my contact information to patients in need.  So that's why I'm trying to think outside the box and looking for ways to connect with patients and their families a different way.  Any and all ideas welcome!

I really appreciate your suggestion about pricing my home to market and they offering discounts to patients and their families.  That is super smart and I didn't realize that pricing my space very low would in fact attract the wrong type of house guest.  Thanks for that!!!

Hopefully, this will work out and I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.   Michele