Questionable Communication with guests

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

Questionable Communication with guests

I had a three day booking and the guest arrived the first night late (self checkin).  He called and complained that he could not stay there because of the musty/moldy smell throughout the house.  This is a historic home but it is 50 ft above the waterfront and the ground around the house is so dry that we cannot successfully maintain gardens. The basement is clean...no mold ANYWHERE.   We had torrential rainfall that afternoon and the weather extremely humid and hot with government warnings to stay inside due to weather conditions.  The neighbours had a gas line burst and there were fire truck/police/cement truck/energy company trying to fix a serious issue.  I knew there was an issue in the morning but did not realize it was continuing into the night.  (we live five doors down from this little rental property).  When the guest phoned he said he was leaving immediately.  I suggested moving him to our other unit which is similar in size but very luxurious and at no extra expense for the next three days.  I also mentioned that we would "flip flop" his reservation with the guest who just arrived in this unit and who was a regular with us and ws more than willing to switch with him as he preferred the little cottage.  

The gentleman said he wouldnt hear of it and felt uncomfortable with the idea of uprooting the other guest (who really didnt mind a bit)  Within the next 24 hours and several calls to Airbnb with lengthy wait times to discuss my concerns, a resolution was made without my concent.  The guest was refunded and relocated at my loss of the three day booking which was part of the weekend.  In the morning I received terrible conversations threw texting with this guests who said the house was full of mold...period.

48 hours it took to resolve.  It was the guests who did not comprehend any of the communication.  He was here to work on a very intense manual/PHd paper???  Needed quiet space.  He was so fixated on his need that he did not listen to my words and comprehend that I was there to give him what he wanted even at the expense of relocating another guest.  When he vacated the little cottage, he left all of his documents and books and never made any effort to retrieve these all important reports?????  I reached out on the third day to Airbnb and also to the guest.  He had to return and meet up personally with me.  During the conversation "face to face", he then realized that I RUN a Bed and Breakfast with multiple locations, He finally realized my best intent was to satisfy his needs quickly.  He was tired, confused and concerned about the construction across the road which I knew little about.  If he had taken the time to meet personally, we could have come to a successful conclusion where everyone was content.  It all comes down to communiation!  

The guest jumped to conclusions that were insulting, inappropriate.  He assumed...To make an "ASS of U and ME".  Shortly after his initial reaction, the construction stopped...the rain stopped...the humidity lifted and with that the odour in the air which mother nature took away.  This impatient guest caused trouble for me, I lost payment on a three day booking and risked having a really damaging review...and jeopardizing my superhost status

Sorry for the long story...however this is typical of many guests (been in this business for over 27 years).  This is not the Holiday Inn .  We are not hear to pass off inappropriate accommodations for a quick buck.  This is hard work and often dodging the bullet isnt any fun.  So why am I still in this business???   Dont know anymore...and Airbnb has a reputation of attracting the guests I complain about the most.

2 Replies 2
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Judy29 

Is he your 1st guest who has done this to you in 27yrs?

If so, look at him as one out of the box.

Wet soil and drainpipes that have water flow down them that are not always in use, or have food placed down them, can result in air pockets which emit an awful smell which is why perhaps he thought the place was moldy as it smells a bit like that.

I've a neighbour who had problems with them & since a plumber provided there services it seems to be fixed.

He sounds like he has his own challenges, none of us know if he has medical matters  that he needed a quiet place to study.

It's a shame he didn't realise you were actually helping him with flip flop.

Maybe you could msg him and offer him to stay another time when he's not studying or raining or complaining!!

Write a balanced  nice review and say he's welcome to come back as misunderstandings do happen from time to time.

It's most unfortunate you lost your 3 days of rent.

Did he cancel?

You may also like to reach out to @Laura_C and run it past her and see what she says as she's Head of Customer Services.

Msg her through the link in here name.

All the best 

Helen:  know this is long time responding, but worth a word or two.  This gentleman was in town to find a quiet place to write his thesis.  He left it behind??? before checking into the local hotel.  I called him on day three wondering if he would ever call to retrieve it.  He arrived in minutes and I walked him through the accommodations that was second choice for him.  I explained that the gentleman who was willing to change accommodations, was NOT my family but a repeat guests who loved our accommodations. We walked to the other place and  walk through in the day light.  I point blank asked him what he was smelling. He apologized and said he could smell nothing.  I told him to go to the basement and look around...as it was very dry down there and even the dehumidifier quiet as there was no moisture left to suck out of the air.  He looked very embarrassed as he should.  He paid twice the price staying at the hotel.  Too bad for him.  Just an odd guests with issues.  Not my concern.  I offered the best and airbnb reimbursed me for two nights.