Questions about not being able to check into rental due to closed roads in snow storm

Linda830
Level 1
Roselle Park, NJ

Questions about not being able to check into rental due to closed roads in snow storm

I’m asking this question for my daughter who had a rental last weekend with friends in the Poconos.   My daughter had a rental from a new host and had split the cost with another couple.  Due to storm I told my daughter to ask if they could check in early and the best they could do was 2:00 which I don’t understand given the upcoming nor’easter.  Anyway I did ask my daughter if she and her friend could possibly get a hotel in the pocono area the. night before and she said no she couldn’t and didn’t take it seriously.  Me I like to investigate and make plans just Incase.  Anyway after being stuck on the interstate in sit still traffic for hours I told her to call host.  By this time it was 8:00 at night, they left at 11:00 from NJ.  This trip on a normal day would take 1 1/2 hours.  Anyway the host tells them to try to make it to the rental.  They wait it out a few more hours but both roads to get there closed and we’re closed for hours prior to this time due to stuck trucks and vehicles.  The other couple my daughter had the rental with supposedly left a little bit earlier then my daughter and her friend did but the couple did just make it to the rental around 7:00.   My daughter and her friend did try to sleep in the car in hopes these roads would open but no way even the day after.  So they wind up leaving to come home to New Jersey at 3:00 in the morning as it was too cold, people stuck everywhere, no food, etc.  my question is would Airbnb consider any refund even 50% due to this.  I know the preparation for the trip was kind of crappy on my daughters part but then again I don’t think anyone knew how bad the storm was going to turn out and there was no access whatsoever to possibly get there.  Maybe a more experienced host would have handled it differently.  How could they tell my daughter to try and make it when there were blocked roads.  Anyone with experience with this?  I just feel bad the trip she was looking forward to turn out the way it did.

8 Replies 8
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

You answered most of your questions yourself, @Linda830. There is a border to which a host, any host - be it an experienced one or a newbie, may take responsibility for the guest's planning or actions. Of course, hosts are obliged to disclose any particular or unusual local conditions to their guests, but I don't think it was a case here. As for any refund, you can kindly ask the host. But it is up to them if they do so or not.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Linda830

Neither a host nor a hotel can be held responsible for any weather conditions or traffic disruptions. They can only give advise to their best avail.

It might be eligible for a claim on the travel insurance though as many cover weather disruptions.

Some Hosts do charge by the guest or for extra guests above a certain point, if that is the case here gthe Host may be willing to refund that element.

Otherwise I agree claim on Travel Insurance.

David
Linda830
Level 1
Roselle Park, NJ

Ok thanks for the replies.  

@Linda830, I sorry to hear this happened to your daughter's trip!

Based on your message, it sounds like if *you* were traveling to the Pocono's, you would have taken the weather more seriously, left earlier, and made it to the rental. The fact that the other couple made it to the rental despite the weather shows that it was clearly possible to do so.

There would be *some* logic to a refund if it were impossible for your daughter to have made it to the rental. But since the main reason she did not make it there was her failure to listen to your good advice, I imagine you know who bears responsibility for this event.

One silver lining would be if your daughter takes your advice more readily in the future.

Just a thought, sounds like 2 couples booking an apartment and one showed up and the others did not.

Perhaps the ones that showed up and had the place to themselves will chip in?

David
Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

Hi @Linda0 I host properties in a Vermont ski town and deal with issues like this frequently. I think trip insurance is a great idea. I message my guests in advance to warn them about weather conditions, but ultimately, I have no control over them or the weather. I'm glad your daughter is okay!

Linda830
Level 1
Roselle Park, NJ

Thanks I know.  I really don’t understand how the other couple made it, my daughter said he is a firefighter so was helping people out along the way who were stuck.  They must have just made it by the skin of their teeth before all roads were closed.  I think she learned a valuable lesson from this.  I always encourage her to leave a day early on her trips to Europe and she listens, this time not so much.

Heather, that’s good you at least warn the guests. I really don’t think anyone knew how bad it was going to get and were unprepared.  The last storm a few days ago had restrictions on certain vehicles going on some roads.  Too bad it took what happened last week to make these changes.