Ratings from guests who didn't read the listing

Heather658
Level 2
Yucca Valley, CA

Ratings from guests who didn't read the listing

After receiving a couple low "value" ratings and overall 4 star reviews that carried a heavy weight and brought us down to a 4.6 because we are new hosts, I added this to our house rules that must be signed off as read before people can book. What do you think? Too much? I'm just really frustrated because I don't understand why someone would book a place that doesn't fit their needs and then give a poor rating based on a feature that was fully disclosed and can't be changed. One guest left a comment that there are other similarly priced places that have an ensuite bathroom, full kitchen and separate bedroom that are better value for the money. Yeah, okay so if that's what he wanted then why did he book my place? There are also similarly priced places that consist of a tent and an outhouse.  Different people want different experiences, why book a place that isn't the experience that you want and then give them a low rating for your poor choice? That's like me buying something in a store that I saw cheaper on Amazon and then giving the store a bad review because I could have purchased the item on Amazon for cheaper. Anyway, sorry for the rant, I'm just feeling really annoyed.

Here's what I added...

***Please make sure you have read our ENTIRE listing description and fully understand before booking that the bathroom is not located inside the cabin, but close by in the back of our garage and you will have to go outside to get to it.

As Airbnb hosts, most of us strive to provide an exceptional experience to our guests, but we are not hotels. Many of us have quirky and unique spaces that lend to that certain charm that made this platform so popular in the first place. We do our best to provide accurate descriptions of what we have to offer and then rely on the guests to book spaces that best fit their wants and needs so that no one is left disappointed. Airbnb is extremely unforgiving with their host rating system. Much like with Uber and Lyft, anything less than 5 stars is seen as a fail. Fall below an average of 4.7 and we're threatened with being de-listed. This can be extremely disheartening when the reason for a lower rating is because someone didn't bother to read. We thank you for taking the time.

11 Replies 11

No, it's not too much considering the fact that many guests do not read the entire description. I write to anyone booking that they must read the rules, because their booking is their implicit agreement to abide by them. Because of that, some guests who couldn't live with my rules were able to cancel and get their money back after i would not allow exceptions. It benefits you and your guest to get this straightened out before they arrive.

Donna316
Level 4
Tasman, New Zealand

@Heather658Unfortuneately no matter what you put people will still just not read it.  I personally feel 90% + of people do not read full listing let alone rules.  I have seen it time and time again when guests come that they havent read the rules.  Even though they are supposed to read rules before they book they just dont. I dont understand people like this.  lol.  I dont know how it can be solved, but @Donna240 s idea is a good one. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Heather658 

Ah... it sounds so familiar...  😞

as others have said - guests don't read.

I found out that more than 50% of guests don't read the description and less than 5%  read the house rules.

1.  Rules are buried deep down below the reviews AND have to be extended to read.

2. Many guests book from their smartphones where the listing is not so easy to navigate and the font is small

The solution I came up is - print the entire listing on the paper and leave it in the apartment so they can check it out easily. On the front page write with big bold letters : APARTMENT X - THIS IS WHAT YOU BOOKED

🙂

@Heather658 

I hope you reviewed that particular guest honestly as well......... that she clearly did not read the listing description and the hosting experience was far from pleasant. 

Terry79
Level 3
Minneapolis, MN

Not only do they not read the description or the rules, I have multiple bookings requests requesting reservations for "One Adult" while it is clearly stated that I charge a Per Person rate (the house sleeps upwards of 20 but I limit it to 16). This is from seasoned Airbnb guests and not newbies. When I ask them about it they are 'surprised' and admit the group was 8 people...so they cancel their request. 

I would love to see Airbnb install a mechanism where the guest must read the entire listing and understand the booking requirements and rules BEFORE they can submit a reservation request.

Making them click a checkbox next to each rule listed would be a great way to do this.

@Heather658    Many guests do not bother to read or even look at the photos.  I have had some who take great pride in not reading anything!  But, Airbnb also makes it difficult to find some things such as check-in and check-out, cancellation policies etc., which are a mighty scroll down, hidden beyond the review section.

I write a very short sentence, I send it to everyone in hope they can concentrate for a few seconds:

"Airbnb is not a hotel set-up each listing is unique. Please read the description, amenities and rules so you know what to expect. If in doubt ask me."

I think the "so you know what to expect" does have some of them panicking so they do go back and read everything.   Although, it never stops some from totally ignoring everything and then dinging me for something they wanted but I do not offer it. However,  I think that is partly due to the way Airbnb word the questions, which are geared towards rating for "what was missing from their wish list" rather than geared towards  the reality of what is offered and the price they are paying.

Emma615
Level 2
Tortola, British Virgin Islands

Thanks for the ideas - I have just had a guest leave after 2 hours using the excuse there are children making noise upstairs (at 6.30pm as kids are having showers before bed) - its in the listing that we have 2 kids and a dog and live upstairs and that the picture showed we were next to a beach - it doesn't, it shows and states a dock and the booking guest had been to the island before and knew. Ugh, i think the booker booked cheap and her partner was expecting a hotel on the beach. 

I have had others that also dont read anything which is why i changed my cancelation to moderate.  The guests that book as we are cheaper than a hotel - rather than they get its an Air BNB are the worst, I like the please go back and read everything to confirm we are the right match for you warning when they book idea.

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

One every two reservations (in my case) are afraid to dogs or have issues with them. I am desperate, too....

@Ale113  You state that you have dogs in your listing description and you also have photos of them in your photo gallery, so guest who book when they are afraid of dogs are idiots who haven't bothered to read your listing description.

However, when we hosts have something that we see over and over again is an issue with guests, it's important to mention it again when the guest books or requests to book. "So, XX, just confirming that you've throroughly read my listing information and are aware that I have dogs? If you are afraid of dogs, have allergies, or are bothered by having dogs around, you can cancel the reservation within 48 hours for a full refund. 

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

I feel like a solution to this would be a simpler rating system. Did what you experience match what was advertised? Yes or no? I received comments that my kitchen and bathroom were "unclean" but I believe that I received this just because they are old. However, this is noted in the posting. It's a historic home, and it is supposed to be old. I am not really looking for advice like "remodel entire parts of your home", and I agree that if my listing didn't match their expectations in terms of the kitchen, bathroom, location, etc. another option should have been booked. Not all guests seem to understand what the rating system is for.