Refunding

Answered!
Diana754
Level 2
Žilina, Slovakia

Refunding

I have problem to cancel my reservation with refund even I have the right to get it. I booked accommodation for august of 2019 so now is one year to check in. The accomodation has Strict (grace period) cancellation policy what means that when I cancel a reservation at least 14 days before check in I should to get full refund of accommodation fees without Airbnb service fee. BUT when I go to cancel it, I see status: If you cancel now, you’ll receive a 50% refund, minus the Airbnb service fees. Please, what I can do to get full refund as I have ? I will be grateful for any advice

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Diana754 with the strict policy you can only cancel  penalty-free at MOST 48 hours after booking AND at LEAST 14 days in advance, meaning BOTH criteria must be met. However, you can always ask your host if they are willing to provide a refund anyway. This far in advance, probably most hosts would at least consider it. Message the host before you cancel, and if your host agrees to an additional refund, call Airbnb to handle the cancellation. Keep in mind that the host does not get paid until the day of check-in so can't directly refund you before then.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

If you supply the listing URL, we might be more helpful.  There are some listings that are allowed to use a super strict policy.

Diana754
Level 2
Žilina, Slovakia

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22244907 I see it now... there is Strict - Free cancellation for 48 hours, but I sure that when I do my reservation there was Strict (grace period). Also when I go to Canccelation this reservation below the table of amounts there are writen Strict (grace period) BUT written is: If you cancel now, you’ll receive a 50% refund, minus the Airbnb service fees.strict.jpg

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Diana754 ,

You wrote:

"The accomodation has Strict (grace period) cancellation policy what means that when I cancel a reservation at least 14 days before check in I should to get full refund of accommodation fees without Airbnb service fee"

This is not correct.

If You book Your place today, aug. 25, You have a 48 hrs grace period starting today.  You now have 48 hrs to cancel for free. After these 48 hrs are over, You have to pay the 50% cancellation fee.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Diana754 with the strict policy you can only cancel  penalty-free at MOST 48 hours after booking AND at LEAST 14 days in advance, meaning BOTH criteria must be met. However, you can always ask your host if they are willing to provide a refund anyway. This far in advance, probably most hosts would at least consider it. Message the host before you cancel, and if your host agrees to an additional refund, call Airbnb to handle the cancellation. Keep in mind that the host does not get paid until the day of check-in so can't directly refund you before then.

Thanks a lot for your advise! Host agreed to refund total amount. They sayed that I should to contact Airbnb directly because of the cancelation. Once the booking is cancelled they will refund me. How I should to send this info to Airbnb? Should I go to cancellation, select reason OTHER and write note that host agreed to refund me? Please, do you have any experience with similar situation and advice me the right steps? 

@Diana754 you will need to CALL Airbnb for this. Don't do anything in the app/site. I don't have the number for Slovakia; another host may post it but otherwise go to https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us and keep selecting "it's something else" until it rewards you with a phone number.

Thank you very much for your help!
Diana754
Level 2
Žilina, Slovakia

Thank you very much for your answers! I will try to ask my host... 

What

Sean Lewis
Edda21
Level 1
Kopavogur, Iceland

I had to cancel my reservation, but to get my money back I have to give new bank information. How do I do that?

Samantha485
Level 2
United Kingdom

Im having the same problem PLEASE HELP, I have had to cancel my booking which was from 1-7 July due to unfirseen circumstances and very recebtly foundout my both my parents are sick with Cancer Bowel and Prostate so treatment will be happening aorund this time and I now need to be in the U.K.. At the time of cancelling I explained this to the host. I have paid only part deposit of £184.84. it does say STRICT Policy canellation up to 48hours and 14 days prior to booking well I have given her way more advanced notice than this almost 6 WEEKS notice in order for her to find somebody else, she has conveniently told me its "out of her hands now" and that i must speak to Airbnb which I have done, and explained my situation, they have tried to conyact the host to see if she wouod consider paying me back my deposit, 3 times they have tried to contatc her to no reply or agreement to refund. As you can see form my emails and proof if receipt I was sent a confirmation email stating I WILL be receiving a refund of £164.64 (photos attached)  - there service fees. So to state this then inform they cant pay me now is again breach of policy.

Air bnb are now informing me they cant refund and how very bad and stressful the sitaution is, how dare they! . They can also see that I am a new user and this would've been my first trip with the company. I cannot beleive they have the audacity to then offer me a ridiculous £47.00 coupon towards my next trip,  when i have paid £184.00 are they joking? 

So I am now looking to get legal advice  because non payment of my refund is now a breach of policy, given the circumstances and that I have given plenty of notice enabling the Host to find another booking I think they are taking the piss. So unless I am paid I will be taking further action now and also discrediting the Host and this apalling company all over Social Media.  This is an injustice, this is NOT accetpable so any advice would be much appreciated. One very unhappy Customer. this was my receipt sent to me straight  after I cancelled, why am I  being told I can't get a refund ? this  in itself is breach of policy!this was my receipt sent to me straight after I cancelled, why am I being told I can't get a refund ? this in itself is breach of policy!it states here a deposit of £88.00 to pay so why was I told I had to pay £184.84?it states here a deposit of £88.00 to pay so why was I told I had to pay £184.84?It Staes 14 days prior to check in I am giving 6 weeks notice!!It Staes 14 days prior to check in I am giving 6 weeks notice!!