Reviewing advice

Kimberly397
Level 2
Winter Park, FL

Reviewing advice

Hi all, 

recently I hosted a couple, & after they left I came in to the house. The house smelled STRONGLY of smoke overlaid by massive amounts of febreeze. The combination was enough to make my lungs wheezy if that makes sense. I had to open up my house, doors and windows, and turn fans on to dissipate the smells. It’s been almost a week and it’s just now lessened. I wrote my guests immediately and said just that I walked in and wow it smelled strongly of smoke and febreeze. No response. I asked for a financial remedy. No response. I finally involved air bnb. He still did not respond, to them either. Only after yesterday when air bnb decided to award me extra cleaning funds (not a lot mind you) he replied to me. I surmise the money went on his credit card. He said “just saw your note. I don’t know what this is about. We don’t smoke and didn’t smoke.” I don’t want to give someone a bad review if I’m wrong, but I don’t think I am. I’ve never had anything like this in my two years of hosting. Advice? Thoughts? Anyone seen this before? 

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kimberly397, of course, they denied it, what were you expected 🙂

you did the right thing by open all windows and turn on the fan. Don't use A/C because cold air will make it worse. If you have heavy or polyester curtains you may wash them.  I am surprised you got anything from Airbnb, they usually don't accept claims for smell because we can't prove it.

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Kimberly397   I had a similar issue and the person denied hot boxing my house.. (I live upstairs). They were asked to leave and thankfully they did. 

Your guests most likely did smoke in the unit. I would leave an honest review stating it smelled like they smoked in the unit.