Robbed at My Airbnb

Darren132
Level 1
Anaheim, CA

Robbed at My Airbnb

Hi everyone. I rented a room for a week several months ago in Palmdale, CA and was robbed during the last night of my stay. The robber broke through the window of my bedroom while everyone was out of the home, stealing my laptop that cost me over $1400 and that I do my graphic design work on, stole my host's Xbox, and dropped a folding knife and wrench on the floor before leaving. Of course this was devastating for me losing something so valuable in cost as well as hundreds of files on there that weren't backed up. I had to scramble to buy a new replacement laptop, but it was a far less powerful one and of course the downgrade has made things harder as a graphic designer.

I called Airbnb customer service that night and the representative simply said that she would forward my information to an investigator and they would reach out to me. The investigator sent over an email linking me to an HPI claim form, and this response was a month after the theft. I filled out the form but have basically given up on the hope that Airbnb will do anything. The host reassured me at the time that the laptop would be fully compensated, and I chose to leave a positive review about the room that didn't mention the burglary happening. A few days later he told me that his insurance has a $5000 deductible and wasn't able to cover anything. I personally think at least a refund of my Airbnb stay would be justified, but I've wondering what you guys think and what I should do next if anything. Thank you.

6 Replies 6
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

So sorry this happened sounds like a horrible experience.

But I don't really see why you would hold the host responsible for this, as they were a victim as well as you were?  Surely you don't think the host orchestrated it?  Or was there flagrant negligence by the host?

You chose an Airbnb instead of a more secure and supervised hotel environment, knowing you were staying in a person's normal home, because of the price or other reason, correct?

Perhaps you should try your own insurance policies and see if anything covers it.

If laptop is over 3 years old it will probably not be covered by any policy.  And if you didn't back up your computer, well, I don't see how the host can be blamed for that.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Darren132 

Thank you for reminding to back up my work to the cloud, I will add it to the list of things my guests should do when they come to stay at my property.

This has also reminded me to check that my insurance still covers laptops/phones etc when I am staying away from home.  

Sorry to hear what happened @Darren132 

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Darren132 

I am so sorry that this happened. 

AirBnB is notoriously had to get a hold of/to communicate with/get a straight answer out of. Keep on them to find out about any "coverage" they can offer in this situation. Try twitter (I've heard that is more effective). But seriously, AirBnB is going to just wait you out and transfer you to more make-believe departments staffed by people with no last names who won't give you a conformation number or any iron clad info. This is basically what happens to hosts when they have any significant claim against a guest. Good luck. 

Bo-Johan0
Level 1
Varmland County, SE

Airbnb robbed me and are still trying even after I payed host!

Christine3370
Level 1
New York, NY

@Darren132 Did you know that the Hosts are covered by Airbnb up to a million? 

Everyone has a right to feel safe wherever they are staying. A hotel is no safer than an Airbnb if the right steps are taken. As the business owner you have a responsibility to your customers, and so yes, I would expect the host to tap into the coverage that he/she has with Airbnb to ensure that this guest and all others feel that the Host is committed to their safety and that we can be confident that they have the resources to support us. I wonder if it were to happen to the one here with the negative comments how they would feel, I am sure they are hosts.   With that being said, Airbnb does actually take this seriously. My daughter and 14 of her friend's space was broken into.  A Police report was filed, and Airbnb placed them in a hotel for the remainder of the stay while also refunding them for the room. While there are more things to work out, I am confident that it will be resolved. 

Important things to look into within your cancellation window of your trip:

1-Does the location you're staying having alarms and security cameras?

2-Does the local authorities have records of break ins in the area.

3-Check with your host specifically in writing, my daughters host failed to let her know that the week prior the same place was broken into, and the repair to the area was never made. So, the host risks all of their lives. 

4-Ensure that here is a safe where you stay so you can lock up items you cannot risk losing. 

5-Always ensure you own safety when you arrive, if it doesn't feel safe, take steps to protect yourself, your worth it. 

Safe travels.