Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Rude guest

K-and-H0
Level 1
Germantown, MD

Rude guest

So we have a guest in our room that is very rude. First she requested the room and cancelled, and then did an instant booking. Then asked of she cancelled would she get her money back. I texted her the policy as it shows on my listing, has to be 5 days out before cancellation refunds. So she said I guess I will see you tomorrow. 

I texted her several times to find out when she will arrive. No answer. Check in can be anywhere from 2 pm-midnight but we ask people to tell us their arrival time to greet them show them around, etc.

I text her again. No answer, then we get a call that she has arrived. Of course without knowing, we were both out. I had to leave a meeting to let her in. 

She got an attitude and said I sent a text saying between 2-3 pm. I said, when? I don't see it. She said a second before I called. I said you have to give hosts time to arrive to ensure your arrival goes smoothly. 

She obviously was mad that she had to stay, but that is not my problem. Then she said it's too cold, fun up the heat. I said no, the house is 78 degrees, close the closet door...it's cold and in here is a heater you can use.

She is extremely loud. Then another complaint...we have it listed in several parts of our listing we have a dog. She is a happy loving dog. She is in a crate in our room when we are not home. She got upset and said, if I want to walk out will she be around. I told her if we are here she will be out but will hold her. She rolled her eyes and slammed the door.

All of this attitude is because she kept booking and cancelling. I use AIRBNB and I know when I push book the room...it's being booked.

I worry she might destroy my room, she seems so angry.

Don't know what to do.

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hallo @K-and-H0

So what do you expect your fellow hosts will advice you ? This is a story nobody can understand , quote:

"All of this attitude is because she kept booking and cancelling. I use AIRBNB and I know when I push book the room...it's being booked."

Sorry, 

Emiel

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You are used to having guests' expectations met and are happy with your listing, @K-and-H0 Now you get to learn how to deal with a less than happy guest.  We all have them for reasons not related to our hosting but more related to guest misunderstanding.  Is it possible for you to see this as a learning experience?   What can you learn about this guest's expectations?  How can you facilitate her satisfaction in your home?  

This is an opportunity, @K-and-H0 and you might be missing it because you are annoyed by this guest.  To be in this business for the long run, it is a good idea to meet the challenges.  Sometimes you will not succeed, but by trying, you will always be a success!!  Good luck!

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

I've had a couple of guests who were inconsiderate and I didn't like them.  Just keep telling yourself she'll be gone soon and you'll never have to deal with her again.  When she leaves you'll sigh with relief and soon forget her.  

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @K-and-H0 

A couple of comments.

As hosts, just as with guests you are meant to have a clear profile picture of yourself not a picture of scenery so do update this as it instills trust.

I think you are right this guest is being rude however some tips for going forward.

If the guest doesn't indicate a check in time message them. "I am sorry you haven't been able to confirm a check in time with us within our check in hours despite us messaging you XXX times and contacting you on your mobile XX times. Therefore we will make sure we are home between XXX and XXX for you to check in.

On a quick read of your listing I only see one mention of your dog. Make sure you have a photo of the dog in your listing and mention it within your opening paragraph of the listing.

I don't know what you mean by the guest being loud, but if it is excessive or late at night you can ask her to appreciate she is in a shared space and try and to try not to slam the doors.