SCHOOLIES WEEK

Scott-and-Shelley0
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

SCHOOLIES WEEK

I have received an enquiry from a new member who wants a 1 week booking for 6 guests. This coincides with the end of school party period known as schoolies. Not being able to view a profile,I am hesitant to accept. Any advice is welcome.

6 Replies 6
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Scott-and-Shelley0 

May I say your place (both) are beautiful. That’s a handy booking, but a disaster in the wrong hands.

Noting personally, if it doesn’t feel right... something else will come along.

If you are worried now... then you won’t sleep well till they leave the space! 

A few things: flags.....

Sure  we can get it wrong, but is the gut acting like a red flag?

Does your enquirer/guest have verifications?

Did the guest offer a reasonable personal profile and story for wanting the space?

Did the guest use your name in any communication?

Do you have external CCTV on all entry points?

Won’t your space be in demand anyway, even if you turn down this enquiry?

Do you have IB switched on for all the extra layers of questioning, good reviews and verification?

This is an enquiry only? If so, ask the questions you need answered. You DO NOT have to preapprove or decline... talk to one another. Get a feel. Get a sense of the age and use.

Let the guest know you check ALL government IDs on arrival.

That you have CCTV.

That ALL HOUSE RULES are not negotiable and binding... no exceptions.

You do call your “security company”  or the police if there are concerns. Have it on a patrol for the week?

I hope this devil’s advocate approach helps you in some way.

🙂

Cathie

Scott-and-Shelley0
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Thanks for replying Cathie.

I decided to decline, there were no previous reviews and no govt ID.

And of course thanks to Airbnb's new policy we cannot see a profile photo of who we are accepting into our home.

Plus as a superhost I risk losing my status for cancelling an accepted booking.

They may well have simply wanted to relax, go for walks & spend the evenings reading books, but you don't know till you enter after they've left.

I'm sure there will be other requests to come.

Good luck.

Scott and Shelley 

Therese14
Level 3
Victor Harbor, Australia

Thanks Scott and Shelley and Cathie for your great reply.  I have also just had a Schoolies request from a Girl recently signed up on Air BnB no reviews no Bio story just a first name, who said she and her friend have just finished high school and want to come to Celebrate. I have told her that I don't believe my place would be suitable as there is no drinking or partying allowed and quite time is 10pm onward. I have been waiting for her to cancel but of course being a teenager she has just moved on So I am also in the same situation that I have not accepted her booking. So risk loosing my Super Host status let me know how you go Please. I also pointed out that if she or her friend are not 18 then I am not covered by insurance should something happen as a Minor can only be in the house with a responsible Adult. I guess that will really send them running. Ha Ha I wonder if blocking the dates would make a difference to not getting penalized? regards Maria

@Therese14  Why do you think you would lose Superhost status? It's confusing because you say she sent a request, which you haven't accepted, but then you say she hasn't cancelled yet. Cancelling is only an issue for a confirmed booking. You mean she hasn't withdrawn the request? 

Just decline the request- that doesn't cause you to lose your Superhost status. You  lose Superhost if you cancel a confirmed booking, not for declining. And if it was an Inquiry rather than a Request, you don't need to decline, because you already messaged back, which is all that's required.

Therese14
Level 3
Victor Harbor, Australia

Yes I did mean she has not withdrawn the request. I will decline thanks for your help. Cheers Maria

@Therese14  Did you ask her to withdraw  the request, or just tell her why it wasn't suitable for her? It probably wouldn't occur to a guest to withdraw a request unless you ask them to.

If this happens in the future, after explaining to the guest why you can't accept, say something like, "I'd advise you to withdraw this request, so you'll be free to find another listing  that will suit your needs". At least then they might.

Easter break week, "Semana Santa", in my town is insane- overrun with young people who come here to party hearty. I got to the point where I just block my calendar for that week, because I was getting so many inappropriate inquiries and requests from teenagers.

One year I was lucky and had already gotten a booking for that period from a nice middle aged guy who wasn't coming here for the party thing at all, he was just checking out the area for a possible move. He booked about an hour before I was planning on blocking off the whole week.