STVR Lottery in San Diego

Pamela1058
Level 1
San Diego, CA

STVR Lottery in San Diego

According to a story in today's La Jolla Light:

"California Coastal Commission planners are recommending approval of San Diego’s planned citywide cap on short-term rentals, despite acknowledging that the new restrictions have the potential to slash the number of such rentals by half."

Anyone know how worried we should be about this? I can't imagine Airbnb & other platforms are going to take this lying down?

I help manage a rental property for my MIL. It is her only source of income. Since she is 90 & set in her ways she refuses to move any of her furniture out of the house, making it difficult to rent long term. This will be devastating to us if it passes & we don't win the "lottery."

2 Replies 2
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Pamela1058

Have you found out more information on this since you posted here over the weekend? It might be worth checking if there is a local Host Club near you as well; while the Community Center is a global space, the clubs regroup local Hosts per area and might therefore be able to provide you with more insights into this piece of news!

I hope this helps 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Louise1073
Level 6
San Diego, CA

There is still some time before this goes into effect, but yes it will severely restrict whole home STRs in the area.

If you can prove the property has been active STR for past 5 years or more and there are no police reports/complaints, then supposedly this will increase your chances of being selected.

We’re all just waiting for the official application to open in the fall. I don’t think it will be enforced until 2023 anyway.