Security Deposit Changes

Answered!
Sarah-and-Alex0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Security Deposit Changes

Since the forum search function is practically useless, I apologize if this is a duplicative post.  I got an email from Airbnb saying there would be changes to security deposits, but it basically included no information.  Is there any more official policy guidance on this?  People on facebook forums are saying that Airbnb is going to apply a minimum security deposit now whether hosts set one up or not, but I haven't been able to find any backup for that.  It's also not clear how this is going to work with international guests.

We're assuming that this is Airbnb's attempt to stop getting stuck with the bill when guests cause damage but don't have any more available money on their payment method, and I get this.  We have problems with last minute low priced bookings from local guests, and my guess is this will help with that problem, but at the same time, do they expect guests paying $50 for a night to have a hold on their credit card for $200?  

The email says that the security deposit hold will be charged 48 hours before check in, and that the booking may be cancelled 36 hours before check in if the hold doesn't go through.  However, this seems INSANE - they're going to cancel bookings a day and a half before check in?  What about bookings made less than 48 hours before check in?  International guests with long travel itineraries could be enroute and arrive to discover their booking cancelled - that's going to *seriously* undermine use of the platform.  Do hosts get paid out if a booking is cancelled the day before check in because the security deposit hold doesn't go through?

I hope there's an Airbnb employee on here who can address some of these questions and pass up the chain that this change has been SUPER poorly communicated.  For an app that allows hosts and guests to rate each other on communication, it's a little ironic.  

Has anyone else gotten concrete information on this change that they can share here?  (Not rumors from Facebook or Reddit lol, actual policy info from Airbnb.)

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah-and-Alex0 

I find the search function works quite well on here; here's a post discussion the pilot.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/AirBnB-to-start-getting-security-Deposits/m-p/988823?advanc...

I can understand your concerns about last minute cancellations if a guest doesn't pay their deposit.

This is a community forum made up of hosts and guests and isn't monitored by Airbnb, but why not give tAirbnb and see what they say?

Do come back and update us.

Helen

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19

What alternative companies Jeff? There are none!! The closest would be booking.com, and their platform is geared mainly for hotels. For instance, you as the host responsible to charge the security deposit from the guest when they arrive, and return upon check out. And if you, the host, don’t have credit card payment arrangement - you would need to collect the deposit as cash from the guest. and That is the crux of the problem, no viable competition to Airbnb in this space

Uh VRBO, homeaway, flipkey, furnishes finder... just some to start!

Lynne185
Level 1
Cupar, United Kingdom

After a long chat conversation with support, and scrutinising the "help" link in the email that was sent out 
I've worked out there are basically now two types of deposit
1 - Host deposit which it "taken" at point of reservation and there's no change to that
2 - a new airbnb required deposit which might be applied in "certin circumstances" 

I've sent the following feedback to airbnb  on this issue (not that I'm sure they'll take any notice....)

AIRBNB DEPOSIT: I'm extremely unhappy with your new "airbnb required deposit. After a very long chat with support today it became clear to me that this change is frankly outrageous.
You say a new airbnb required deposit MIGHT be applied in certain circumstances
The obvious questions I had were.....
a) what are the "circumstances" where airbnb would required their depost? - you wouldn't tell me what increased risk factors would lead to the airbnb deposit being applied
b) would hosts at least know the airbnb deposit was being required - No, that's between Airbnb and the guest!
c) would I have the option not to take that booking - No, cos I wouldn't even know the airbnb deposit was being applied
d) Is there any security for the host if the Airbnb deposit can't be collected and Airbnb cancel the booking 36-48 hrs before checking - No!!

So airbnb is basically now introducing an additional potential deposit requirement without my knowledge, in "circumstances" where you clearly define there is a higher risk of damage to MY property. However you won't tell me when that added risk exists, nor what the increased risk circumstances are? You MIGHT then completely cancel any booking at 36hrs notice, because of a risk that you are aware of but haven't told me about with no payment to me??
If "certain characteristics about the guest" mean my property at risk, I think airbnb have a legal duty of care to tell me what those risks factors are, and give hosts the choice whether to continue with the booking. Otherwise quite frankly airbnb is being negligent by not disclosing a known risk factor to the host.The lack of transparency, with hosts carrying all the risk in this scenario is totally outrageous! I've only recently started letting a whole cottage through airbnb - might not be doing that for long!!!

Lynn383
Level 2
New York, NY

Hello!

New to this community! I just posted this question via the Help  - provide feedback section on the Hosting side of the site. Is there somewhere else I should post it?  Any thoughts appreciated.

Security Deposits ... what is going on there? I have an inquiry for my rental for Memorial Day weekend, which is a month away, in which the potential guest says she is shown under “additional prices ... security deposit - $5000”.'

I did not apply a security deposit to my listing. My questions:

- I am not sure if this is an actual charge or just a hold on her credit card?
- I am not sure where the figure comes from or whether there are risks with this particular guest that I should know about?
- I am not sure what happens when I DO apply my own security deposit vs when I rely on AirBnB to protect me against guest-caused damage?
- As a result I have no means to determine what deposit, if any, to ask for?
- I am not sure what to tell this guest?
- I am not sure how to proceed?

I would appreciate a response ASAP so I know how to address this potential guest before she is on her way and the listing is lost.

Hahaha... sorry Thats  just ludicrous! I would love to know the outcome of your issues/questions.  So curious, waiting on pins and needles over here