Security Deposit payment method (Guest)

Ken386
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Security Deposit payment method (Guest)

I booked an airBnB for May long weekend and everything was fine until my credit card was compromised (Not AirBnB related). I paid half the amount upfront with an AMEX and the other half was due in early May. My AMEX was compromised in late April, so I had to cut off the card immediately and requested a replacement card, which didn't arrive until after the airBnB charge was due. I have updated my airBnB profile with the new AMEX card and set it as my default payment method.

The problem I am facing is the second credit card I used to pay for the other half of the airBnB charge has a low credit limit, so I would like the security deposit to be held with my AMEX card. I've contacted airBnB support and they have not responded, so I am hoping someone in the community has some experience with this situation.

Thank you all.

4 Replies 4
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Ken386  this is going to sound daft but its true and very confusing.

If the listing you are booking has a security deposit listed, its a

Host-required security deposit

and no security deposit is taken, its just an amount you are agreeing to pay if needed to in the furure.

If no security deposit is listed on the listing then its an

Airbnb-required security deposit

Which is taken 48hrs prior to checkin.

Click the link

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your reply.

I see a "security deposit" section in the receipt near the bottom. It says, "Your host requires a security deposit of $XXXX CAD".

Sorry for the rather dumb question, but since it says "host requires", I assume it is the host-required type.

Cheers!

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Ken386  YUP

Ken386
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Great! 

Thank you Jeff.