Security Deposit

Georgia61
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Security Deposit

Hi Everyone, 

I'm a new host and would love your feedback on this, I have a 2 bedroom fully contained guesthouse on Airbnb and have no idea how much to charge for security deposit.  Has anyone had damage caused by guests to their property and what were the outcomes? 

Regards,

Georgia

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Georgia61

You will see lots of posts on this forum about damages caused by guests and claiming for them through the deposit/Airbnb guarantee. Why not do a search on these forums to give you an idea of more common issues.

If you decide to have a deposit it will depend on the value of your listing and what you charge (it needs to be proportional).

Also have you looked at the Airbnb Help Centre to see how deposits and the guarantee works? - if not go over and have a look.

Remember the deposit and guarantee are no substitute for having your own home insurance covering short term lets.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Georgia61. First of all, you need to know that Airbnb does not charge a security deposit, but rather the guest is informed that they may be charged up to the security deposit amount a host sets if they cause damage during their stay.  These links should give you more information on this: 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Your-top-questions-about-Host-Guarantee/m-p/56268...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

As for the amount, this will be up to you and the value of your furnishings, artwork, etc.  I have removed all very valuable items from my Entier Home and have set a security deposit as $150.  Airbnb allows hosts to set a security deposit up to $5,000. 

In three years I've had to file a claim against the security deposit twice.  One for a stained pillow case which needed to be replaced, one for a lost key where I had to have the locks re-keyed.  In both cases I filed a claim through the Resolution Center and had to get Airbnb involved to get the reimbursement from the guest which they did.  

The keys to getting Airbnb to resolve claims in your favor are these: 

- Send attachments showing the original cost of the item and a receipt for the replacement

- Attach photos of the damaged item

- If possible get the guest to admit through Airbnb's messaging system that they caused the damage so there is a record for Airbnb to see. 

- Make your claim as soon as possible.  For security deposit claims, you must make a claim within 14 or before the next guest checks in. If you don't have documentation at that time, you can still send it later. 

As I'm sure you know, a host can't just pull a number out of the air and expect a guest or Airbnb to just give it to you.  Always substantiate the amount you are claiming with documentation.  I keep receipts for everything I've purchase for the rental, mainly for tax purposes, but it really comes in handy in the event of damage.  

Hope this helps!

Thank you, great advice!!!

Jana115
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hi Clare

Are you able to advise as to how to navigate AirBnB in respect of security deposit/insurance claim?  We immediately lodged one with AirBnB after some recent guests trashed our place & submitted pictures & repair quote etc.  Though it unfortunately seems to be 'closed' & a bit of a black-hole in respect of getting any response from AirBnB or in fact, making it simple for a host to actually contact them about an issue, or follow it up.  Would really appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks
Jana & Brett

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Jana0in Dubai I was a little confused by your post because initially you ask for help in navigating Airbnb to make a claim and then later you say Airbnb has closed your case?

If you want to lodge a claim go to Airbnb Help Centre and search for Airbnb Guarantee and it will give you the process for lodging a claim.

If Airbnb have closed your case without explanation (and I think it is awful they feel it is acceptable for them to do this), then you will need to appeal. You can do this, but they don't make it easy to find out how to do this. I would start by contacting them via their Twitter account.

Hi @Jana115 I am very sorry to hear that your guests trashed your space.  Guest's behaviour of this sort is really unacceptable. 

When you say "seems to be closed", have your received any notification from Airbnb that the case is actually closed?  In one of my situations it took about 3 weeks for Airbnb to contact and collect from the guest.  

I assume that you have already cleaned up the mess left by the guest.  Do you have receipts of the actual cost versus the quote for repairs?  I would think that a receipt for what you actually paid to put your space back to normal would have more importance than a quote.  A quote is simply anyone's guess at what the cost might be which may or may not be realistic.  In other words, a host could submit a quote which is much higher than what it would actually take to repair the damage and I believe that Airbnb, in order to be fair, takes that into consideration.  (Please note that I am not saying this applies to your case.)

Since I have antiques in my listing that were originally purchased by my grandmother (my mother is 95) it would be very difficult to assign a value if one were damaged beyond repair.  For this reason, I have private rental insurance so I do not have to rely on Airbnb for compensation.  I realize this is not available everywhere and most hosts are not able to purchase private insurance.  

When I needed to follow up with Airbnb on a resolution claim, I did this through the resolutions link: 

https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions/

Yes, I realize that contacting Airbnb is difficult.  I have the phone number for my area in my contact list on my phone so it is readily available.  Sadly, I do not know the phone number for your area.  The best I can do is offer this link: 

https://all-about-airbnb.com/post/142351825041/how-to-contact-airbnb-customer-support-via-email

Again, I am very sorry you have had this awful experience and hope that you will be able to get this resolved as soon as possible. 

Clare

Jana115
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hi @Clare0 & thanks for your advice/kind words.

We've tried exchange thru their website & calling, though to no avail yet.  The following response to our query as to how to submit further info is not reassuring as to how we're going to be treated on our 1st modest claim:

"Regarding the pdf, it would again be unfair on my part to advise you how you can send it and to whom. Therefore, once you get a call from someone on the same, they would be able to answer this in a better manner."

Since then....'dead air' & maybe posting something on Facebook would get more response?

Regards

Brett & Jana