Security Deposits

Nakeisha0
Level 1
Boston, MA

Security Deposits

I have been hosting for over 1 year on Airbnb. I have a No smoking policy for my Airbnb. A guest smoked Marijuana in my home and left it where I needed to kills and paint a bedroom, shampoo furniture.. replace a coffee table because they BURNED it! Replace throw pillows etc.. my cleaning and painting bill was $1,250! Airbnb told me they couldn’t get in touch with the guest so they can only shoulder $200! WHAT! I find that to be ridiculous! Airbnb does not support their host.. without us they there will be No Airbnb.. I’m confused.. a guest is required by my rules to have a security deposit. They ruin  the home they should pay. Has anyone else experienced this with Airbnb?

1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Not sure which of your listings was involved, as one has a $500 security deposit and the other $2000 but you do know that Air BNB does not actually take a deposit but only has access to the credit card used to book.  Anyway, it seems that the documentation needed to substantiate the damage can be daunting but also, damages can be reduced by an aging factor.  Very guest friendly but right in line with most insurance company policies.