Security deposit

James-And-Kathi0
Level 2
Boca Raton, FL

Security deposit

I had a guest that must of threw up on my living room carpet. They must of cleaned it

up that the cleaners never saw it when they vacuumed. My adult son and his wife 

do a walk through after and before every guest. They were in the house and never

saw or smelled anything. New guest comes in and says there is a smell and they contact me and 

we go over how they can clean up the spot they found. But now 4 days later they contact me again

and says the smell is still there. Now my son goes in to clean it up and the guest

is very nice about it all. now in between this guest and the next we will steam clean the carpet.

But it is too late to get some of the security deposit from the guest; correct?

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If you have a security deposit in place you need to make a claim within 48 hours of your guest's departure. 

The only thing you can do now is contact the guest and see if they are willing to pay for steam cleaning.

Also - have your reviewed the guest? If not then consider what you are going to say.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You use the words 'must have' but you have no evidence that the previous guest threw up on the carpet. By your own confirmation, the cleaner and your son and his wife did not see or smell anything after the guest checked out. So how do you know that this has not happened whilst the current guest is in the property? The dilemma here is that the previous guest checked out and the property was checked over by your people and it was fine. The next guest has checked in and there is a smell, I think you might have to shoulder this cost yourself.

The window to claim off a guest's security deposit if your claim is successful is 48 hours and has passed. However any claims must be based on facts/ evidence, assumptions are not acceptable.

BW, Ama

I agree, I had all of those same thoughts.

The guests that I have in there now are Airbnb hosts themselves.

I was thinking that- who really did it? I would of liked to think

that the Airbnb hosts were trustworthy.

I will shoulder the costs of cleaning the carpet.

They did let my son in this morning and he cleaned it with spray

carpet cleaner, hopfully that did it.

They were very nice about it and thanked for the quick response.

I am 1 review away from getting Superhost status, now I am worried

about their review.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Yes

David