Share your sheet wisdom please

Answered!
Cari3
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Share your sheet wisdom please

I like to provide good quality sheets thinking people will take better care of them.  I will no sooner have bought new sheets when they are stained.  Like the guy who thought it was a great idea to slather his entire body with self-tan before he went to bed....a delightful full body yellow stain.  It's definitely not uncommon for guests to put cream on before bedtime - more oily stains, nor is it uncommon for them to eat in bed and spill stuff.  A friend said I should spray stains with lighter fluid because it takes care of everything!  What?  That doesn't sound good or healthy to me.  We pride ourselves in being an eco-friendly airbnb and in fitting with that value I don't use store bought cleaners.  I make all my own non-toxic cleaners.  In line with that eco-friendly value, I most definitely don't want to be throwing away sheets to fill landfills and to keep factories pumping them out.  I want to keep our footprint as small as possible.   But how do you take out oil stains in an eco-friendly way?  Or what do you suggest we do to discourage cream-loving guests?   

1 Best Answer
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Cari3 

I feel your pain!

I have no knowledge or expertise in using non store bought cleaners so I can't help you there. ( although I do use salt and/or baking soda on a fresh wet stain to draw it up out of the linens - not very time efficient though) so I don't really have much advice for you re this.

I also pride myself on beautiful portugese linens that feel luxurious and are great to sleep in. 

I also have had linens really really badly stained, with makeup, and most recently some weird brown chemical substance from a tradie who was building a pool.

My focus these days is on preventing the stains from happening in the first place,  if at all possible.

Here's some of my strategies.

I charge a substantial security deposit.

I specifically mention in the house rules that excessively damaged or stained linens will incur an excess cleaning fee/ replacement charge. I specifically mention fake tan and makeup stains.

I stipulate no eating in the beds. I have large bedside trays next to the beds and on these I have handwritten "laptop trays"   I figure if they are GOING  to eat or drink in bed, they'll do it knowing they shouldn't be, take a bit more care, and hopefully use the tray to catch any spills

I have a pile of "old Towels" which guests are welcome to use for whatever they please - checking the oil in their car, rubbing down their dog, using as a door mat for muddy feet if it's raining.  They're not used that much but I think just the explanation of why they're there gets people thinking/being a bit more considerate

I think the security deposit is probably a bit toothless - I"ve never attempted to make a claim against it, but it seems to make most guests at least THINK. Not foolproof by any means but it certainly doesn't hurt

I also have multiple sheet sets ranging from very nice to pretty ordinary.

I gauge my guests and choose how to make up the beds accordingly.

A mature adult couple visiting from overseas to rest? They get the portugese fancy stuff

A group of 7 young adults  - they get the cheap stuff and HEAPS of facial wipes etc left out.

I started off with all of my mancester and linens white.  these are still what I primarily use and with the strategies above, I'm not going TOO badly.   However I 've also invested in good quality black towels, handtowels and bathmats  and I"ve recently bought some black sheets.

I've found the black towels, hand towels bath mats etc great for the teenagers and tradies. So far no colour stripping.  Not trialled the black sheets yet and not so sure they are going to be so good - they seem to attract a lot of fluff and dirt that really shows up.

Hope this is of some help

cheers

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

Hello Sarah. I run an air bnb in Fiji where it's hot most of the year, just dry and wet seasons. So far, I've used white cotton sheets and white bath towels for the bnb.  But of course the white sheet was stained once . I'm wondering, do you or anyone in this group recommend colored sheets to avoid stains and what shade of color, dark,medium or light??

Note, there is one good store in my.city here that supplies linen for all hotels in Fiji, that's where I buy my linen from. Look.forward to advice about the best color sheets And towels to invest in..Thanks 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Cari3  Well, if you sew, or have a friend who does, you can usually get enough unaffected fabric out of a stained sheet to fashion into pillocases, which are quick and easy to make. 

I have to say, smearing dye all over one's skin just so you'll "look" tan, is a bizarre concept to me.

I’m totally with you...it like if acne cream takes the bleach out of fabric, why would you want to put it on your face?  And yup...I totally don’t get the smearing dye one oneself to look tan.  Us humans we really are a great bunch!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Cari3 

acne cream doesn't stain the fabric, it bleaches the color and that's the problem.

I bought a few gray towels, I thought stains will not show as much as on white towels, but after less than a month they all had bleached stains so we are back to white.

For the same reason, I would not recommend colored sheets except those with a printed pattern. Printed fabric can not be bleached out, but dyed fabric can.

I also tried gray facecloths and gave up on those because of the bleaching out problem.  And you’re right, once something has bleached out the color, nothing is going to restore it.  So it would make sense to look for printed fabric, thanks for this.  

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Cari3  Only towels I have ever "lost" were stained with that horrid fake tanner stuff. Nasty, nasty, nasty stuff. I imagine that sheets are just as prone to this stuff as well.

I didn't know how difficult it was to remove, so I may have dried the towels before the stains were totally removed and set them in place. My husband uses those two towels. He knows that they are clean.

That’s what also drives me crazy....I could use them knowing they are totally clean except that they don’t go with the decor in our room at all (the new turquoise ones I bought). I KNOW my sheets are clean, but a guest might look at these stains and question it.