Should I refund a guest?

Lisa91
Level 2
Lexington, MA

Should I refund a guest?

Hi everyone,

When my guests arrived at our cottage they discovered an infestation of house flies that I was unaware of.  Concentrated in one area of the living room, not in the kitchen, dining area or bedroom area. 

That was their first evening at the cottage.  By next morning I had a pest control technician and my cottage caretaker there to assess what was going on (I am two hours drive away).  They couldn't find a source of where the flies were coming from.

Best we could do was put up sticky flypapers.  Guests reported that evening that the situation was better.   I haven't heard from them today.  I have reached out and asked for an update.

I would like your advice of how much, or if, to refund their rent.  Their total stay is four nights.

Thank you in advance for your ideas & suggestions,

--Lisa

8 Replies 8
Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

Whenever I have guests who are inconvenienced by such a thing I take over flowers or a local baked good treat or something to thank them for their patience. Since you are far away, you could have a local store do this for you or a neighbor perhaps. Or flower service. I guess it depends on how big of an inconvenience this exterminator was for them and how disgusting the fly infestation was. If it's like "GROSSSSSS! I've never seen so many flies in one room there must be a dead carcas somewhere!?"  I might offer to discount their one night of flies by X % but not refund all their money.

It all depends on how enraged they were about it or how disgusted, how big of an inconvenience it was, how long it persists, if it affects their stay in other negative ways, how nice you are, and maybe even how much their paid to begin with. Luxury accommodation? -- they expect near perfection. Rustic cottage in the woods?  - maybe not so much and more wildlife is forgivable.

Just my two sense, Lisa.

Thank you! We did suspect a dead animal somewhere but none found. Yeah it was a definite “yuck”. 

When you said “X %” how much is the X?

thanks!

lisa

For me and how much "X' is for me, I would say it depends on all of the other factors that I listed, So I can't say exactly what I'd do here.  Is it supposed to be more high end? Cabin in the woods? How disgusting was it? Did it inconvenience their trip? Etc. etc. You could extend them an offer of a free night  in the future. I've done that as well.  10% off their fly-ridden night? Some extra amenity like a pass to a local attraction?

Thank you!

--Lisa

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I would offer them a big apology and a one-night refund, and ask if they consider that reasonable compensation for their inconvenience. That will cost you much less than a bad review with a public complaint of pests.

Lisa91
Level 2
Lexington, MA

Thank you so much!  Very helpful and specific feedback.

--Lisa

Antonia52
Level 2
Kinross, United Kingdom

What was the outcome?

Bought a gift for their kids, and refunded a portion of the first night. Thank you! Lisa