Sleeping more than 16 guests

Krista24
Level 2
Flagstaff, AZ

Sleeping more than 16 guests

Hello everyone... so our home sleeps up to 22 people in Flagstaff, Arizona.  I know that is a lot of people, but our home is BIG.  I can charge for additional people up to 16, put can't charge any extra for the remaining 6... what do I do?

8 Replies 8
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I was just wondering as it is a whole property how you would check how many were staying?

David
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Krista24  It's just a limitation of the Airbnb system.  They have chosen that as their arbitrary maximum.  You can state that in your description how many people your house accommodates along with the amount extra (if any) per person over the 16.  Then when guests indicate they have 20 people, you can send them a request for the additional funds through the Resolution Center or by sending them a Special Offer.

Stephanie202
Level 2
Chipping Campden, GB

I’ve asked this question on the global q&a. Please vote for my question as it may actually get picked and answered! It’s only got 25 votes so far. Link is. https://pigeonhole.at/AIRBNB/q/103824
My question is
Can you please increase the maximum number of guests. It is unhelpful to guests that the maximum number they can search for is 16 and for hosts when calculating any additional guest charges Stephanie Ayres

I don't recall seeing this until this summer. Is there a reason AirBnB only lists up to 16 & for larger homes just states 16+? Don't understand how that's a good thing when guests are looking for, say a home that sleeps higher numbers. This is a problem in two situations...

If a guest sees a house (max occupancy: 16) that only sleeps 16, but it shows 16+ - how do they know they cannot have more than 16 when it's listed as 16+?

If a guest needs to accommodate 22, how do they know that this house (max occupancy: 22) will in fact work for them?  

Dean161
Level 2
Bermagui, Australia

The mechanics of this is not easy.  If you have already approved a booking and then you discover the booking for 16 is actually for 19 then you cant send a special request anymore, so my advice would be always ask is it really just 16 you have in your group then you can go straight to special request. 

I dont think the resolution centre method can be used till full payment occurs. As I just tried and it stopped me.   So you have a guest that is saying yep I can see I owe you extra per person beyond 16 please charge me.  And you have to say well actually Airbnb can't help me do that until maybe later-on once you have left and the 16 payment is through.  Seems to be a real design flaw to me.  But I'm still learning

I think it's even simpler than that... from a guests point of view, how is AirBnB's current options helpful to our guests???

1. If a guest sees a house (max occupancy: 16) that only sleeps 16, but it shows 16+ - how do they know they cannot have more than 16 when it's listed as 16+?

2. If a guest needs to accommodate 22, how do they know that this house (max occupancy: 22) will in fact work for them?  

@Ryson-Vacation-Rentals0 the guest can always inquire, and if you would accept a booking with more than 16 guests, just send them a special offer with total price that covers number of guests and the cleaning fee all together. If the guest already booked your place, contact them first that you are going to charge extra for the number of guest after 16, and just send an alteration. When you alter, you cannot change the number of guest anymore, so what you do is just change the price indicated again to the number price that covers the total number of guests.

We don't charge by occupancy. Our rate is the same.

However, we have homes that sleep up to 22. If someone needs 22, and they see our houses that are listed at 16+, they would have to inquire.

Our homes that sleep 16 & no more, are listed at 16+, but it's not 16+, it should say 16. These guests don't inquire, they just book it & are upset when we say it cannot accommodate over 16.

It's not an issue for us - it's about customer service to our guests. AirBnB limited options are not helpful.