Star Ratings

Melinda65
Level 2
Norwich, United Kingdom

Star Ratings

My last guest rated my Airbnb 5 stars in all areas - which is consistent with all other reviews I have received. However, their overall rating shows 4 stars! 

If all categories received 5 stars, wouldn't the overall rating be 5 stars? I suspect, then, guests are asked a further question to rate their experience 'overall.' In which case, this guest entered 4 stars because there was no parking on site - a fact which was CLEARLY articulated in the listing but that there was a carpark right next door!

Hashtag #frustrating

5 Replies 5

@Melinda65

Join the thousands of hosts with similar stories...the community postings is full of them, unfortunately....clearly insane system, flawed and primitive I am afraid.

Melinda65
Level 2
Norwich, United Kingdom

And I suppose the first unfair comment/rating was always going to sting! 

Any unfair rating hurts : - (

Marie515
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

I've had the same thing happen, but I think the guest has just slipped, miscued or tried pressing the stars one-by-one.  I have suggested to airbnb that there be some sort of pop-up box appear if something like this occurs.  It seems inconsequential, but ratings are important to how we appear and if they can't change the rating then they need to be able to have a better system.

Gina136
Level 4
Watertown, MA

I have had this happen, but worse:

a) all categories 5 stars, except for one with 4.

b) overall rating? 3 stars (three)!!!

I asked the Guest for feedback, who kindly entered into a conversation with me. It turns out he found my listing as expected in all categories, the descriptions accurate, and the photographs clear and not at all missleading. Why the 3 star rating? Because I have a modest home and the room is relatively small (even though I described the dimensions, etc.). For him a 5-star rating is what a luxury room would receive!

AirBnB HAS TO DO something to clarify to the Guests what the star scores mean! They put tons of effort and investment into raising the bar of hospitality, and I don't see much on an effort supporting the Hosts in getting the recognition they deserve (e.g. ensuring they receive a fair rating by putting everybody on the same page.)