Strict Cancelation Policy

Sara1277
Level 1
Rockaway, NJ

Strict Cancelation Policy

Hi,

I booked a reservation 9 months in advance, and is now 7 months until we go on our trip, but the host a strict policy.

We recieved news that we have to relocate states for job purposes and can no longer make the trip due to finance purposes.

Do I have a good arguement or should I just take the low amount of refund?

Thanks, 

4 Replies 4
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

A couple of things, @Sara1277 . You booked the place knowing the cancellation policy was strict, so it makes sense to just take the 50%.

Have you looked at your own travel insurance to see whether this is covered? I don't know how that works when it comes to job relocations. 

You could ask the host whether they might consider refunding you any nights they manage to rebook. As it is seven months out, depending on where you are going, the host may be in a position to agree. Hosts do choose the cancellation policies that they require in order to run their business, though, so it's not a given. No harm asking nicely. I wouldn't make it an argument.

Dana282
Level 2
Kentucky, United States

It can't hurt to message the host and ask. As a host, I would use discretion in bending policy for certain instances, especially so far out from from the stay. Worst case, they say no and you take the 50%. Best case, they agree to a fill refund.

Your issue may deserve a refund, but from a host perspective, many competitors are using tactics to win in this business. Using agents to book and cancel, occupied space knowing the won't be using same. This  will cause the host to loose especially knowing someone else could use the same space. Just keep an open mind and hopefully some else takes your slot so that u can get a fefunr or a percentage of your fee 

Anush2
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I have a situation where I cancelled a $2000 booking 24 days in advance and the host is keeping 50% of the total fee. This post is a challenge to the strict cancelation policy set by Airbnb without limitations to the total cost of booking. No other booking service out there has this kind of penalty that gives hosts so much power and ability to make money. This power is short-lived because once customers realize they're getting robbed, they will stop booking altogether and this time is coming very soon. Many of my friends have stopped booking through airbnb and so have I. I'd rather pay the more expensive hotel fees than deal with this. Everyone can have a change in plans which is why hotels, airlines and other services allow cancellation of up to 48 hours without a fee, less than that with a flat fee. Airbnb is an exception. I am in a battle now to try to get my $1000 back and neither Airbnb nor the host, which is a rental management company, want to help.