Strict cancellation policy money back

Leana5
Level 2
Croatia

Strict cancellation policy money back

Hello,

How can I know that my guest, who cancelled a reservation, didn't keep my dates blocked until he found another property?

Because he's asking me a full refund. 

On one side it is written that I need to reply in 1 or 2 days to give a refund. On the other side I didn't get any money from ABB because the check-in time is in the future.

Kind regards,

L.

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

They knew your policy when they booked. Deny their request. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Leana5 

Your guest might have only paid a 50% deposit with the balance due 10 days before arrival.

Stick to your cancellation policy.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Leana5  If they cancelled your dates are not blocked. If you cancelled they are. (Never cancel on behalf of a guest.) I personally would deny but tell them you will refund anything you recoup from rebooking the dates, after you are paid. (I think if you accept the refund request now it will just reduce or eliminate your future payout.)

Hi Lisa from Oregon,

I have also one Lisa in Bend 🙂

Yes, that last you've said is correct. Whatever I refund, it will be reduced from my account on my next booking. And what he had paid for my reservation will be paid out on his check-in date.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Leana5 @:-)

Could you tell exactly when he cancelled? You can tell him that airbnb takes care of all that has to do with payments and cancellations. That you can't do anything about it from your side and that he has to contact airbnb and that he will automatically get his money back according to the cancellation policy. Tell him that you are not paid by airbnb before after a guest checks in. You can also tell him you are sorry but you can't do a thing because you will loose your chance to become a Superhost for a year. He has to contact airbnb to get more money back than the cancellation policy promised. If he cancelled more than a day before his arrival he won't be able to write a review of you. But could you please tell exactly what happend also the time line?? Best, Sandra 

Hi,

he cancelled 3 weeks after he made the reservation, 4 months before the check-in time. In this 3 weeks I had 2 other reservations for before and after those blocked dates. 

I don't know if he's telling the truth or telling tales that his friends need to go somewhere working that's why they cannot come. That's why I wanted to know if is anyway to see if he made through ABB any other reservation for this period of time. But a custormer expert said there is no way to get this information.

If he made another reservation means he kept my dates blocket for his ass safety, and would not be fair. If he didn't make any other reservation means he's probably telling the truth.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Leana5 🙂 You don't have to give him anything more than the cancellation policy says. And all that is handled automatically when the guest cancels. It doesn't matter what he tells you. If he wants more money tell  him that he has to contact Airbnb and that you can't do anything from your side. Airbnb will only side with him if he can document "extenuating circumstances". Always just tell them sorry you can't do a thing from your side as you won't get paid before after check in and that Airbnb handles all the money issues. 

Some hosts offer to give the guest a refund IF the dates get rebooked. 

Make him believe you really don't have a saying. That is what I have done 🙂 

About your question. When your guest books he won't get more money back than the cancellation policy promise him when he books. So I don't think it would make sense to book your strict cancellation home just to have your place "on hold".

Btw if you want to write to someone specific make sure to tag with @Leana5 otherwise the person won't know you wrote as no notification will be sent.