Sudden severe drop in bookings

Alex1477
Level 3
Newport, United Kingdom

Sudden severe drop in bookings

We host a lovely room in our shared family home in Newport, South Wales. Since our first booking last November we have had virtually consistently 85/90% occupancy, week in week out. Fantastic, lots of earnings, superhosts, fabulous reviews, it’s been a dream. Now, nothing, bookings have totally dropped off, we’re dropping in the rankings as a result. Nothing for nearly a fortnight, only one nights booking next month. Difficult not to get paranoid, especially as our local competitors seem ok. Can this happen?

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Alex1477 

And welcome from a Bristol host just over the border.

As you know we are in the low season in the UK for most areas so bookings will drop naturally. We also have more and more hosts joining so you are facing a lot more competition then you were when you first started.

This combined with concerns around Brexit has led to a drop in European visitors.

So yes you are likely to be getting fewer bookings, but I am sure it will pick up for you soon. Luckily I just had a one month booking for November which will take me though much of the pre Christmas low season.

By the way why did you reply to a private comment on your review publicly. Next time such message them back with an explanation.

Good luck.

Helen

Alex1477
Level 3
Newport, United Kingdom

Hi Helen

Yes I did hope it was just the weather/season that affects things, just a bit worrying going from three months of hosting literally every night without a break to absolutely nothing almost overnight. I don’t know what to do with all this spare time.

Re the comment to our last guest - they marked us down in value despite acknowledging how good value our offer is BECAUSE Airbnb add their charge on top. That’s not our fault, and so was unjust, if you don’t like the price quoted when booking, then don’t book, and certainly don’t book then complain about the Airbnb cut by marking us down. The comment was sent in a pm and also posted as a public response to make a valid point because an increasing amount of our guests have alluded to the Airbnb commission making our nightly price less than 100% good value.

Double check all your settings, ie, listing description, calendars, as I also had a very sudden drop in bookings even with local events being held in my town. Turns out the app had re set my guest suites as shared rooms - this happened to many hosts recently, and it has again happened to me in the last few weeks. I am checking and updating my listings and calendar on a daily basis now, I don't trust anything on the airbnb site anymore, it is full of constant glitches. It seems to get worse with every passing week unfortunately. 

Sally774
Level 2
Rotorua, New Zealand

We started out our abnb boxing day, the guests came and went came and went. Even though we had perfect guests, we havent had a booking since. Even though one guest with a great profile, booked 4 but turned up with 6......grrrh.  I actually didnt make anything of it in guest recommendations,  just focused on the positive.   I billed them extra. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sally774 Are you getting many views (under performance tab) and is your price competitive?