Superhost or Not?

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Superhost or Not?

Hello, when I look at my performance stats, I see this...

Screenshot_20200826-141157_Airbnb.jpg

Does this mean that come October we lose superhost status ?

We're lucky enough to be able to choose not to host during a pandemic.

Do we get penalised for that?

I can hear @Anonymous saying "superhost is meaningless" and I kind of agree, but still...

13 Replies 13
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Helen0 The last I saw on this subject is that you will retain your status BUT will not be eligible for the $100 travel voucher.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Just remember there's another side to this.

I'm sorry for folks who have decided not to host, but have retained their superhost status, and who may lose it come October, but there may be a lot of people waiting to be reassessed, who may have been working hard before and during the pandemic, but can't get their status back because the assessments have been frozen. 

I know superhost status is essentially a tool for manipulating behaviour, but it does have its perks,  and I've observed how it has perceived status, even in the forum commentary here.  I know not everyone displays it, but I have noticed Superhosts sometimes post with a certain sense of entitlement to benefits over other hosts. 

(and, by the way, I say this as someone who has been hosting since 2016, and has been in and out of superhost status more than once, who now qualifies, again, but I'm not sure I want it back)

@Michelle53 am I being entitled then?

@Mike-And-Helen0  I would say that "entitled" behavior is wanting things for Superhosts that other hosts are prevented from having, because Superhosts "work so much harder" than other hosts. 

Every time I read about someone getting a one-star review that blows them out of Superhost status, and then that person has to work inordinately hard to overcome that one-star, I'm pretty convinced that the majority of hosts work really hard, but some just have worse guests, at times, than others. 

@Michelle53 I don't think superhost means anything much, but some guests pay attention to it when they book.

We just let an annexe to one or two people so it's more dabbling than anything.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Mike-And-Helen0   

You just wrote:

• „I can hear @Anonymous  saying "superhost is meaningless" and I kind of agree, but still...“

What is this, Your „but still...“?

I've been doing researches on the meaningfulness of being a Superhost for the past 2 years. There is only one advantage to it: You get a $100 travel credit per year. $100 per year that's $8.33 per month. How much is this by the hour? I'm not working for that kind of wage.

Again I'm asking You: What is it, Your „but still...“?

@Ute42   I think the "but still" comes out of not knowing what Airbnb benefits might suddenly be bestowed on folks who have Superhost status, as a future carrot (or stick ?).

We know that the "Superhost Relief Fund" was of pretty much no help to the vast majority of superhosts, but the fact that it existed at all tells you that Airbnb can, and will, use Superhost status to bestow other possible "gifts" in the future. 

@Michelle53 I think for me it's more being a bit of an approval-seeking geeky swot.

@Mike-And-Helen0    That somewhat describes me, too, but it's fading with age, as I get grumpier and less tolerant  😉

Good question @Ute42 !

@Mike-And-Helen0 

I know it's a good question. You don't have an answer to it and noone else has an answer to it either.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Emilia42 Yeah, baby!

Thanks I'll stop whingeing now!