TOT Taxes

Brian796
Level 1
Murrieta, CA

TOT Taxes

I have been fighting with Airbnb for over a year now.  My listing in San Bernadino County is now under the the umbrella where Airbnb collects TOT on my behave.  Even on my listing it states the following:

Occupancy taxes
Your listing is in San Bernardino County, CA where Airbnb collects and remits occupancy taxes on your behalf.

But they are not doing it!  They never have!  I have called, e-mailed, begged for them to correct this issue but nothing changes.  And they have taken away my ability to have a "tax" line on the booking so I can charge the tax.  Any advice here?  Anyone in a similar position?

6 Replies 6
Jessica1230
Level 2
Santee, CA

Hi - just stumbled across your post as I was searching for the same thing. I'm in exactly the same boat with our Big Bear property. Any update since November? Would love to know if you've gotten to the bottom of it.

Brian796
Level 1
Murrieta, CA

Hey Jessica, no I haven't seen any resolution to this issue.   It has been now over two years with absolutely no feedback / updates unless I reach out to them.  I have pushed my renters to use my VRBO account instead of AIRBNB whenever I can, just so I can bill correctly.

Seems like it should be a simple fix on their end, can';t imagine why this is such a big deal to correct.  

Amy560
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I am in the same situation as you but another county. I have been trying for over a year and a half to get this resolved. ABB refuses to collect this tax although according to my county they are required to do so. It is beyond frustrating, I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of. I want to delete and go VRBO only for this reason alone but I still have future guests on my calendar so I do not know what to do. I am desperately searching for an answer. Have you  figured out what to do?

Well it took nearly two and a half years, but it looks like they finally fixed it for me.  I was surprised to see a booking last month that had tot taxes withheld for the county.  Over the course of of this issue I probably reached out to them  about a dozen times, but I suspect it was nothing I did to resolve it, they just finally got around to it.  My advice is to hang in there, it will get fixed at some point.

Hieu--Lyly-0
Level 2
Mt Shasta, CA

Greetings, I’m new to Airbnb and need clarification, whether or not, Airbnb, will be collecting the TOT taxes from our guests and paying the required, taxes which are due to the City of Mount Shasta, CA. I have been unsuccessful, in my attempts (thus far) to find out with certainty, the answer, on the Airbnb site. Is there a special chat line or phone number we can call to get clarification? Many thanks!

Ryan2408
Level 1
Rancho Cordova, CA

Hi @Hieu--Lyly-0! I’m interested in this as well. I’m in the process of buying a home near Mount Shasta that I’ll be renting out part of the year.

If you don’t mind me asking, was it also difficult to get the permit for your vacation rental from the city? From what I’ve read, they aren’t too enthusiastic about vacation rentals and keep changing city and county codes…