Terrible Customer Experience with both Host and Customer Service

Sarah3120
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Terrible Customer Experience with both Host and Customer Service

I arrived in Tokyo, Japan 2 days ago on November 30th, it is now December 2nd and I am still nowhere closer to having my issue resolved. To start from the beginning myself and my partner are in Japan as first time travellers, we arrived midday November 30th. Our host contacted us at 4pm to advised our room would not be ready for checkin at 5pm as the previous guests left it in such a state it needed ‘disinfection’ but that they had a room with all the same amenities we could stay in instead. I agreed to this, we arrived to the new room to find it did not have the same amenities as opposed to a double bed we arrived to 2 bunkbeds, this would have been fine had the bunkbeds not been boarded at the bottom, my partner is 6ft 3 so he is unable to fully extend in the bed leaving him to lie at uncomfortable angles. So I expressed to my host that this would be okay for us to stay in a night or two whilst they prepare the other room to be told that this was not possible. They then put me in contact with air bnb customer service who were god awful. After I explicitly told the case manager I was dealing with NOT to cancel the reservation he did so anyway. He has no advised me I need to rebook my stay. Which is probably going to leave me homeless in Tokyo for the remainder of my stay, I do not have the sufficient funds to rebook my stay here. Whatever amount of money I have in my account I need as spending money here, even though it still would not be enough for me to rebook. I was also advised I would need to rebook for the couple nights I am staying in the bunk bed room and book the remainder in the other room. My bank will block my card if I put through one transaction let alone 2. This is by far the worst customer experience I have ever had. Higashida my Case Manager keeps thanking me for my understanding when I do not understand. I explicitly told him not to cancel my reservation now we have no idea what we are to be doing. I am into my 3rd day of my trip to Tokyo Japan for the FIRST time and all this has done is cause me insane stress when I suffer with a condition as it is. I should not be expected to do anything here when I have not done anything wrong why must I be the one to be messaging both my host and customer service back and forth to try and resolve an issue caused by customer service for cancelling my reservation after I explicitly said they should not do. I do not have money to rebook this. Whether or not I was refunded or not, the refund will take up to 15 days to make it back to my account. I am at my credit limit. 

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am mortified by your post, @Sarah3120 .  What you describe does not jibe with my understanding of how Air BNB CS will deal with guests.  If a listing is not acceptable and you can document that, which you apparently can, Air BNB should assist you with finding an alternative listing and maybe even give you a 15% credit to off-set the additional expense. 

Gaz-and-Aileen0
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

This looks on you. you go on vacation on such a tight budget, then its all blown out over one booking. Travel wise.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sarah3120 

Uh uh...  😞 it looks like a common scam - you book a nice room, then a day before your arrival you are notified about the damage and been offered another room which is much worse than the one you booked. I've seen it already a few times here on the forum.

You did what I would do, call CS but I am surprised they canceled your reservation against your will and didn't offer to relocate you or at least refunded you immediately.

Close your  case with your current CS rep and contact Airbnb again through Twitter or contact page https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact-us/topic

insist that you were scammed and homeless in Tokio and you need refund ASAP

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Sarah3120 ,

So, so sorry to hear about this dreadful situation. When did you last speak with the Airbnb CS? I've shared this post with them to look at as soon as possible.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines