The complaints process please

Sandy399
Level 1
New Zealand

The complaints process please

Good morning, I normally wouldn't enter into this type of conversation but unfortunately my family has been affected by this and therefore I feel impassioned to communicate with you.

My daughter booked a room in Auckland City Centre for Friday and Saturday 5th and 6th July. The booking was "Metropolis Avani Shortstay Apartment (Renovated). It describes the area as Bedroom 1 (1 king bed) then Common Spaces (1 King bed, 1 sofa Bed).

We thought this would be fine for the group. When she arrived on the Friday she noticed that there was only 1 king bed, no additional king bed and sofa bed. There was only a leather couch that did not fold out to a sofa bed. My daughter drove back home with her guests and started contacting the host. The host said that what was provided, was what was listed. My daughter explained that wasn't the case and sent a screen shot of the site. Within minutes the site details changed and the king bed was removed from the common space details on the site. We have screen shots of these changes. This was so incredibly disappointing and we then had to provide them with an airbed for the lack of bedding. We have ceased communication with the host and now wish to seek your assistance. We would appreciate your help here in regards compensation.

Kind regards

Sandy 

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sandy399  You have posted this on the community forum- we are all just hosts and guests here- you haven't reached Airbnb. Your daughter needs to contact Airbnb to explain what happened. She did the right thing by contacting the host first, but when the host was BSing about the space, she should have then contacted Airbnb to tell them about it and get a refund.

So tell your daughter to contact airbnb now, tell them about the inaccuracy of the listing, and the host's response and subsequent changing of the listing.

You can't do this for her- they won't deal with anyone other than the person who made the reservation.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I second everything that Sarah said but wonder if the listing had been "updated" by the algorithm that's been playing havoc with host's listings -Did the listing say how many guests could be accommodated? If the listing was supposed to sleep  4+ people then 1 king bed is a  bit too cozy of course, but several  on this forum have had listing details  messed about, especially the number of beds.  I've had my listing veering from a whole house to a shared room almost every day lately and have had to restate the details for each potential guest.  The host should have done a better job of explaining what happened either way & if it was something cooked up by airbnb's algorithm run amok then airbnb should step up, Sally (who is bailing from the platform precisely because of this nonsense)