Theft

Paola613
Level 1
Athis-Mons, France

Theft

I am host since January, and I 'm glad of those experience on AIR BNB plateform,  but 

I'm having problems with object theft : a spade a shovel, garbage bag , diswahzer soap , towel.

I do not want my house to become a suspicion place ! What is your advice ?

14 Replies 14
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello Paola.  Are you stating that your guests in the apartment take these things?  A shovel, a towel, a garbage bag and dishwasher soap seem somewhat random but not of great value.  Please forgive me but I do not understand the concern.  We all have had small items taken either because the guest thought it was available to them for the taking like garbage bags or they accidently put the towel in with their belongings, but most of us worry about expensive items or sentimental items.  

If this is a big concern for you, is it possible to be present when the guest is checking out?  I am on site, so I am present and i always tell the guest I am going to quickly review the rooms to ensure that they have not left anything behind and at the same time I am looking for any of my things to be missing.  Would that work for you?

Starla1
Level 2
Newcastle, WA

We have had two situations where the guests have taken the Rokus in a house where we also have cable.  Just recently two Roku's were taken.  When I contacted the guests before the current guests who reported it they said they didn't use them and noticed there weren't any there, but of course didn't report it too me.  So who knows it could've been them the guests before or the current guests.  Any suggestions?  Or do I resign to just the cost of doing business?

Kjetil3
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

Hi, 

Just posting about a case about a host that hosted in Norway. Most of his stuff was stolen when he rented out the place, but did not get any "insurance" money from airbnb. And he was very unhappy how airbnb HQ handles the case and switches airbnb employees when he talkes to them.  

https://www.nettavisen.no/nyheter/dag-roar---airbnb-gjester-rundstjal-leiligheten-min/3423562985.htm...

I have the same case ,somebody book my house and stole almost all .

i am trying to rich Airbnb and always go nowhere ,they always have a excuse or never respond my emails

they stole like 5.000 dollars between TVs ,linens, towels, pillows ,stereo

that happen April 26 and still no clear answer from airbnb

they ask me for pictures and invoices ,I send all and then I receive a mail stating my case is close since I never send any prove or photos

dont know what to do

anybody ever  have this problem

thanks for responseI

Ingrid

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

My rule of thumb is:  Don't leave anything out that you don't want stolen or broken.   If it's something small and minor like a garbage bag, I wouldn't care.  It's part of doing business. 

Jennifer1137
Level 2
Rapid City, SD

I usually have really good guest. This last one though stole part of the t.v.sound bar. Left my home in ruin. It was awful food in the beds. Towels were thrown eveywhere, cigar burns and ashes on my dressers and windows, cooked crab left scattered throuh out the kitchin along with all other food.( for 1 guest.) I did file a police report. beware of this person travelingTasawnda Hall from Chicago.

Did Airbnb pay for your lost.?

Deborah367
Level 2
Jacksonville, FL

QUIT!  Or have surveillance cameras.

I had almost $ 1000.00 missing.  Can't proove it, but I know who, and can't confront without more proof.

Another lesson to teach ' don't keep your valuables out - like your purse.

It's a shame that we open our homes and hearts and someone can screw you over.

I have lost total faith in human lknd.

Hope this helps.  Misery loves company.

Melissa793
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Hi,

I just joined airbnb as a host, but I also clean a few airbnb's and I am experiencing more theft than the others and want to know how to combat this. I live in my home when it is not rented. I have secured everything now, except for artwork on the walls. Everything else in the common areas is expendable, except artwork.

With one stay, the stole an expensive, irreplaceable Smith and Wesson buck knife. This I left out accidentally and first stay after that it got stolen. 

Now I came home to a piece of artwork missing off my wall. When I reached out to the guest, I asked if it might have been knocked off the wall. They first didn't answer and when I asked a second time, they responded they didn't have time to inventory everything in the room. They obviously took it. 

I contacted airbnb on monday and the person said she was referring it. Now I have heard nothing. I reached out again last night and heard nothing. 

I am figuring I have to take this as a loss, but I don't have any cheap artwork and I am truly worried. 

Any ssuggestions?

I would imagine that almost every person has been the victim of theft, @Melissa793  and if warranted, we contact the police and file a report.  Additionally, I doubt many theft victims have gotten their items back.  What is different here, is that you invited the person into your home so it feels doubly invasive.  

Unfortunately, Air BNB staff cannot help you since you are reporting a crime and they are not the proper authority.  I suggest you report the crime.  In your review perhaps note the missing artwork coincident with the guest discharge, but avoid actually stating the guest took the art, but you might note the communication.

Would it be possible for you to meet the guest at check out time to review the space in their presence?  I live in my listing while the guests are here and I am here when they check out.  I review the space as they are packing up their car with the reason that I do not want them to accidently leave something important behind.  On occassion I have found an important guest possession while they are still here.

I am not filing a police report for this theft. I also am not making a claim against the guest. They got very nasty and it isn't worth it to me as a new host. I am going to be taking photo inventory of all artwork prior to check ins so i have proof and next time I will pursue it. As i said, my job is caring for airbnbs and while stuff has disappeared in the past, artwork has never been removed from a wall in any of my properties. It is a shame that people behave this way

This is a great idea!! Unfortunately most people check out on Sunday when my cohost goes to church

Take a photographic record of your home before the guest arrives. Then after they leave (before the new guest comes). You can shoot a video, or you can take a series of photographs.

Then immediately send them the photo of the before and after and ask for payment in the resolution center. I don't care if they might get negative - it's theft. If you get everything documented in time, Airbnb can see the communication and it gives you a stronger case.

But never EVER leave out valuable. But have it in your listing and house rules that anything missing or broken will be billed to the guest at replacement cost.

Sigh - sad we even have to do this. The worst I've had so far is a missing travel mug, my lightning iPhone charger (they left their own that didn't work and rifled through a drawer to find mine), and towels.

If you don't report it - and write it in the review - they'll cheat another host.

Photos, photos, photos.

I pay a manager as I live in another state from where my air bnb is located. My first two years were perfect. No damage and no theft. The past two times that I have come to stay at my own air bnb it has been in disarray, all my linens stolen, furniture broken, tons of stuff missing and trashed. Shouldn’t my manager be reporting this to me? Why do I pay her then?