To refund or not?

Jamie446
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

To refund or not?

Hello all,

I’ve had an issue with a guest who is now requesting a refund.

The guest arrived and checked in, we handed over the keys and explained parking is busy late at night and you will have to park on a street further away if you go back out, although there will always be a spot available. 

The guest went back out for the evening, no issues. We received a message today stating that the guest couldn’t find a parking spot at night, that he drove around for an hour & his SatNav lost connection. At this point he decided to drive to the next Airbnb on his list (in the middle of the night) and not stay at my BnB. 

He is now requesting a refund.

Is this my responsibility as I did all in my power to help, though in the middle of the night he did not ask for help.

Thoughts? 

4 Replies 4
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Jamie446 Why should you be responsible for his actions ?

If he decides to move to the next accommodation he booked, then it is he who is fully in control of his actions. 

I'd tell him that you won't refund him because it was he who decided not to stay as he has blocked your calendar restricting you from booking elsewhere. Sorry.

Did your guest not even leave his baggage before he went out ?

The guest is stating he couldn’t stay for the night, due to the fact he couldn’t park. Though he parked to checkin & I made clear that parking is tight later on.

They never brought their luggage in, although they left food in the fridge. All very strange.

Cheers for the advice.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jamie446   No.  No.  Not a dime in refund.  He didn't even notify you or bother to cancel.  And, make sure if you don't  already have the parking stuff documented on the airbnb platform to memorialize it in a message to the non guest.

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Jamie446  100% not your problem. The guest knew about the parking ahead of time. He did not contact you when he "could not find any parking" to try and help him and he decided on his own to go stay at another ABB. He should not be refunded at all. I can't believe he is even requesting a refund. Stand your ground, you did nothing wrong.      🐵