Unreasonable refund request

Debbie131
Level 1
Cape Saint Francis, South Africa

Unreasonable refund request

Good day,

I recently had a guest staying in a house I manage. They had booked the place for 7 nights over the busy Easter period. After two nights they informed me that they would like to leave the place early. They wanted to leave as they owned a property nearby which had, until then, been occupied but had since become available. I had adopted a moderate cancellation policy and thus a fair amount of their booking fee would have been refunded had they cancelled the booking.

I then received an alteration request from the tenant. I declined this as I did not condone their behaviour - firstly to opt out of a rental after having booked in advance, over such a business period, is sure to have cost me the homeowner money, and secondly the reason given was decidely self-serving. That said, the option to cancel is, as always, available to the guest.

The guest subsequently messaged me privately and attacked me for not accepting the alteration request, claiming they would keep hold of the house keys, etc. This strange set of affairs finally resolves themself but the guest never actually cancelled the booking. Now, seven days after the booking ended, she has messaged me on Airbnb her banking details obviously in expectation that I will refund her for the nights she did not stay. 

What is a host to do in this situation? Her obvious failure to cancel the booking means she has to all intents and purposes seen out the full extent of the stay, but at the same time the obvious threat of a poor review is very evident. 

Any advice or clarifications on Airbnb's policies on such issues would be much appreciated. 

4 Replies 4

@Debbie131: The guest is probably going to leave you a bad review anyway so don't feel blackmailed. If she threatens you with that possibility you should contact Airbnb immediately, especially if the guest wrote it in your message thread.

You can professionally respond to the bad review once it is left explaining that "the guest left early to stay in their own house that unexpectedly came available but, after leaving and despite my request to do so, the guest did not cancel her booked days preventing me from re-booking the house the days they were not present."

If the guest prevented you from re-booking, then it is within your right to not provide a refund. You did give her that option and she chose not to take it. I hope your situation works out well on your end. Please be honest in your review. Other hosts should not have to go through this stress either.

Totally agree.

Jacqui30
Level 2
Kimberley, South Africa

I have had a client who booked with my managing agent.  He has stayed in the flat for almost a month and 3 days prior to leaving they have now complained about building that is happening in the block of flats.  We as the home owners were unaware of the building/renovations taking place in the flat above us.  Needless to say yesterday for the first time we were made aware of the problem.  He is now stating health issues etc - we advise that we dont mind him leaving early and that we would refund him for the last few days remaing after being advise of the problem.  However we are now getting sms about not being hostile but wants a refund for his months stay.  What do you this of this situation.  He did prior to his stay wish to cancel two weeks which we said he was more than willing to do however he had to take in mind the cancellation penalities - he chose not to cancel. Now this has come about.  Advise would be great

@Jacqui30

Tell him he used the property for a month without any complaints to you therefore it is more than unreasonable to now start complaining- keep correspondence on the Airbnb platform