Verify ID for all guests?

Answered!
Janice68
Level 4
Winston-Salem, NC

Verify ID for all guests?

How do I request that ALL guests have a verified ID before they are allowed to book? My issue is many times one person does the booking while I have no clue who the additional guest will be. I am uncomfortable  accepting bookings without knowing who the other guest is for safety concerns. I open my home up to Airbnb guests, and offer one bedroom and private bathroom. I remain discreetly in the home for their entire stay. If there is a way to do this through the Airbnb application, I have not found it. On a side note, I find the entire website application to be clunky and sub-par for navigation, but that's another issue entirely.

1 Best Answer

@Janice68 my rules state that guests must give me info on every guest (I take up to 8 unrelated guests) and they also say that I may verify that info against IDs at arrival. If this is in your rules (and you are an IB host) then you may have CS cancel the reservation if they do not provide it. If you are not an IB host, then you would want info for all guests before accepting a reservation.

Yes, you may ask and I wonder why more hosts don't

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The key line here is; 'If you want to share your trip plans with the people travelling with you'. And 'if' means they don't have do. It isn't an Airbnb rule. 

Kirill13
Level 2
Miami, FL

It happens all the time. For instance, the primary guest seems reliable and older than 25 years, but, as additional party, suddenly, arriving with him / her bunch of unruly teenagers 

Every guest must have verified ID 

Song6
Level 6
Elyria, OH

This whole ID thing is problematic. I ask for and must have a look at the id's of complete strangers who come to sleep in my house-or they dont come in the door.

Geri-and-Osiris0
Level 7
Edmonton, Canada

If a guest books a hotel room, the person who books would need to show ID and a credit card at check in or they wouldn't get the room. This is the only way hotels can recoup damages (to have a valid credit card on file they can charge for any damages). It's unfair that as an Airbnb host we wouldn't be allowed to do the same. I had an IB guest, June 2 - June 5, 2019, who joined in June 2019, and booked my place at 4 a.m. June 2nd, for a 3 day stay starting June 2nd, with supposedly verified governement ID and a selfie. He had zero reviews and I had set the option that IB guests must be referred by other hosts. But all the IB booking requirements I had set were oddly not checked! Anyways, this guy and his girlfriend ransacked, damaged and looted my place to a tune of $16,000 worth. He knew to reset my wifi in attempts to disable my security system's cameras. He left cocaine and graffiti behind. He is obviously a criminal, doing this regularly, and knows how to operate around the system. I am not posting publicly what he all did as I don't want to give other wouldbe looters any ideas.  I think this is going to become a bigger problem for Airbnb hosts and Airbnb needs to do something NOW to nip this criminal behaviour in the bud!

@Geri-and-Osiris0  Your guests sound eerily similar to the the fraudulent couple I had who caused me trouble. It would be interesting to compare more notes on the stays in private. We're only a few hours apart so it's feasible could be the same people. I would imagine they travel around making their 'living' at this. My guests were definitely pros, and were in fact known to police, I found out later.  Which is interesting and confounding. Guest makes a profile and books a place on Airbnb with the same name he's known to police by. Uploads a gov't id too. Trust no one and depend not on the Airbnb process for anything.

I can relate to all the conversations...I have had people show up who look nothing like their profile picture, call themselves by a different name and haven't shared travel partner info even though it is in my House Rules. Now I carry a colorful clipboard with reservation names and simply ask them to "check in" by showing ID. If they get huffy, or spout Airbnb doesn't require it, I kindly explain that their reservation will be cancelled as the House Rules do. In 2 years only one aggressive refusal and they left of their own accord. It is telling that they never called the site to complain or ask for a refund. My pet peeve is that the site might verify ID, but anyone can actually show up...and how do we know when their profile picture is of a dog or something? Although 99% of the time matching people to reservation info is easy, it is that 1% that leave you uneasy. I too wish all people in party were registered and had ID.

Chris1564
Level 2
Tampa, FL

Is it possible to just require guests to submit a photo ID through the message platform to verify their ID at the time of booking?  This way the host can confirm the ID and run a background check on guests when they book?  I don't like that all I can see is "verified"  especially when the name of guests seem to be clearly fabricated.  

Chris-Bnb Pro Host
Clyde-and-Gaye0
Level 2
Franklin, Australia

My big issue is allowing a guest onto the Airbnb site without having their identity checked. This is a huge security risk to hosts. Yes, you can exclude them from your booking. However, if you are a genuine guest the minimum should be a verified government ID check.

I agree. There really needs to be better ID verification. I am always uneasy when all I see is "verified".