What protections does a guest have against changes made by Airbnb to the reservation after check in?

Roya12
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

What protections does a guest have against changes made by Airbnb to the reservation after check in?

We had a really terrible experience on a long term stay.   Our hosts evicted us because our baby was waking up at 6am until we could give her milk.   Our reservation included an infant and our message to the hosts made it clear we had a 1 year old daughter.   They accepted the reservation after receiving this message. (We have document proving all of these.)

Two weeks after we checked in, we received messages from the hosts and Airbnb saying that we should look for alternative housing because of baby noises. After a long nightmare of wasted hours trying to communicate with 20 difference case managers over a period of 10 days,  a case manager finally told us we had violated the house rules by having the infant. At that time we noticed that our reservation had been changed, and our infant had been removed from our reservation. On the same day Airbnb allowed the host to make an alteration without our consent, and gave us 48 hours to leave.

This is a big deal as the infant part of the reservation has been removed by someone at Airbnb, and  the alteration robbed us of the only protection we had which is that the host cannot rebook the dates.   But now it's listed for a higher price proving the point.   

We moved to a new place, and since then we have asked Airbnb several times for the log of our reservation to know who changed our reservation and why. We were first told that no changes had been made to our reservation, and after we insisted, we were told that the log could not be shared with us. 

What are our options at this point? Can we take legal action against Airbnb for changing our reservation?  

1 Reply 1
Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Hi @Roya12 , 

I'm really sorry about your experience. Other than leaving an honest review of the host, I don't know what else you can do. Maybe someone else can give you better options.  Without the proof and log I think legal action will be hard, plus most likely more expensive than what you'd get from it. 

Yours, 
Solveig