What to put and where?

Answered!
Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

What to put and where?

I just got a new unit and my head goes crazy on what to put and where... I will appreciate your kind help in giving advices and thank you so much for your time and effort!

So, this is a small 1 bedroom unit, which can accommodate maximum 7 people as per our admin rules. I will be very happy to accommodate all 7!

I am very much confused about:

1) size of beds

2) beds position. If I will put a bed in living room, where the headboard will be? If the headboard is near the wall, then there is no place for TV anymore

3) TV - yeah, where to put it?

4) dining table - I see that there is no space anymore for a dining table. Can people survive without it? Or collapsible table will make a sense?

The condo is located just opposite the airport, so restful sleep is our priority... KitchenKitchen

Toilet and showerToilet and shower

Small bedroomSmall bedroom

Small bedroomSmall bedroom

Living room (you can see entrance to the unit, entrance to toilet room, entrance to the kitchen on the right)Living room (you can see entrance to the unit, entrance to toilet room, entrance to the kitchen on the right)

Living room. Entrance to the small bedroomLiving room. Entrance to the small bedroom

Living room. Entrance to the small bedroom on the left and 2 big windows on both sidesLiving room. Entrance to the small bedroom on the left and 2 big windows on both sides

1 Best Answer
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kat84  Yes, but just because you could rent the room to 7 or 10 people doesn't mean you have to, it will be much more wear and tear on the unit and if it's set up as almost a hostel it will not attract the best type of guest.  I would also make it a max of 4, maybe 5 at most.  

You can put either two twin beds or a regular double bed in the small bedroom.  I would then put a futon or a day bed/trundle bed in the living room, that way it can function as a sofa and then be folded down at night as a bed or beds.  If you are bound and determined to have more people, then get a cot or an air mattress that can be stored when it isn't needed.

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Kat84 how much m2 is the place? I am not sure why would you try to squeeze in 7 people here, I would go with 4 people max. People need to be comfortable. There are so many tips online on how to maximize small spaces, you can look for inspiration there. The space looks amazing, it is a blank canvas so get creative with it. 

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

48m2

I forgot to put a smiley, this was a joke, of course. Now I don't see any button to edit my post. As for me, I can see 5 people maximum here.

I already looked at many tips online, but they are not created for particularly my space and more important - they do not come from Professional  Hosts!

Thank you for your warm words

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Ana, thank you for your reply! I am located in Southeast Asia, in Manila, which is the world's most densely populated city

If 10 people could only stay in the room, then 10 people will gladly do that 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kat84  Yes, but just because you could rent the room to 7 or 10 people doesn't mean you have to, it will be much more wear and tear on the unit and if it's set up as almost a hostel it will not attract the best type of guest.  I would also make it a max of 4, maybe 5 at most.  

You can put either two twin beds or a regular double bed in the small bedroom.  I would then put a futon or a day bed/trundle bed in the living room, that way it can function as a sofa and then be folded down at night as a bed or beds.  If you are bound and determined to have more people, then get a cot or an air mattress that can be stored when it isn't needed.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kat84  You say restful sleep is your priority, but I don't see how 7 people crammed into that small flat would get a restful sleep.

Anyway, you can use the electrical outlets as a guide.  Put a bed between them or next to them.  Put a sofa between them.  Put small side tables next to beds and sofas.

There are clever pieces of furniture that turn into beds, like this:   https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/brayden-studio-saito-sleeper-ottoman-byst8068.html This gives a group of 2 or 3 or 4 a nice ottoman in front of the sofa, but if you have 4 or 5 or 6 you've got an extra bed.

Yes, people need a table.  If they're not eating they've got their laptops out.  

Listen to @Mark116's advice.  You will get worse guests if you advertise 7 people at a low price than if you advertise 4 or 5 people at a higher price.

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Ann, this is not a small flat, by local standards it's huge! Space costs a lot here. In my area most hosts charge for any extra person, if more than 2 people book.

Thank you, Ann and Mark, for your advises, they are very important to me.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kat84  PS:  For God's sake put the toilet seat down when you take a photo for your listing.

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Yes, definitely will do that! These pictures are just for us, patient hosts 🙂 

Hollie6
Level 10
Page, AZ

I thought that Airbnb policy was only 2 people per room plus 2 for a fold out couch. I agree with everyone else that 7 people seems like to many for that space.

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Thank you for the comment, Hollie.

I have bought bed and sofa bed, both 48x75. You can't imagine how difficult is to buy sofa bed in Asia. This one is biggest I saw after checking around 20 stores. All were shorter than me 😊

I also bought converting table. It's solid wood and made in Malaysia. It's cute. 2 people can use it or 4. 

Waiting for delivery... 

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Sofa bedSofa bed

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kat84  Have you ever heard of a Murphy bed? Are they available at all in Asia? They aren't cheap, but they are great for extra sleeping arrangements and many are even designed with shelving or closets integrated in the unit. During the day it folds up flat against the wall.

I had to laugh when you said 1 bedroom and 7 guests and US hosts responded as if that would be crazy ridiculous. Many people don't realize that in densely populated, non-first world countries, people are very used to packing an unbelievable amount of people into a space. 

I was invited to my Mexican builder's wedding, which took place in his hometown, too far for me to drive home after, late at night. I said I'd bring a tent to set up in their yard. They told I didn't need to, that they had lots of relatives and lots of houses and there would be space for me to stay somewhere. But friends of mine who had been in similar situations said- Bring the tent. Sure, they'll be totally hospitable, but you'll end up sharing a double bed with 5 other people you've never met before 🙂

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Waiting for your suggestions, comments and critics 😂

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Before and After IMG_20190824_175414.jpg

IMG_20190824_175934.jpg

IMG_20190824_180847.jpg

IMG_20190824_180012.jpg

IMG_20190824_180914.jpg