What type of lease for long term in California?

Louise853
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

What type of lease for long term in California?

I have started a 30 day or more availability for my listing. I live in California and would like to use a lease for tenants to sign. I  would like to rent from 1 to 4 months. Would I use a month to month or a regular lease with a check in/out date stated on the lease. I would feel more comfortable with that but not sure if I can use that for less then a year? Also where would be a good website to get it what ever I need? Thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

You can draw a lease for any period of time you want.

It would be a good idea to take a look a basic overview of California Landlord/Tenant law. You can find this easily on the internet.

There are many places where you can get free lease forms and other standard documents.

I have used ‘Lectric Law Library for many years.

I'm in calfornia also and considering long term guests (over 1 month) because I have a triplex and Sonoma County won't let us AirB&B out one unit under 30 days. I need advice on what happens if the guest doesn't leave, is it a guest where AirB&B helps you or are they tenants and you have to do a legal eviction?

@Lori2496 When a stay ends and a guest won’t leave, there is nothing Airbnb can or will do. The guest is no longer a guest, and the contract has ended. If they have been there long enough to gain tenant rights, you are potentially in for a lengthy and costly battle, on your own. Do your homework and be very careful.