Who washes dishes for guests

Ncamsile0
Level 1
South Africa

Who washes dishes for guests

I am 3 months old hosting and recently had a guest complain that dishes and pots he used and left are not washed the next morning. I thought it was clear that guests wash their own dishes after use, as it is self catering and not a hotel. Do i put notices in the kitchen for guests to wash their dishes? I provide dish clothes, liquid dish soap and the likes for dishes to be washed. Is there more i must do like wash dishes for them?

7 Replies 7
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>I am 3 months old hosting and recently had a guest complain that dishes and pots he used and left are not washed the next morning. I thought it was clear that guests wash their own dishes after use, as it is self catering and not a hotel<<

This person clearly expected maid service. He was wrong, you are not. 

>>Do i put notices in the kitchen for guests to wash their dishes?<<

A line in your house rules should suffice.

>>I provide dish clothes, liquid dish soap and the likes for dishes to be washed. Is there more i must do like wash dishes for them?<<

Nope. You are not their maid.

Happy hosting, @Ncamsile0.

Ncamsile0
Level 1
South Africa

Thank you, this has helped me a lot.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Ncamsile0you can write them nice message reminding your house rules. (My dear guests, I’m a bit surprised with your demand as soon as I was sure that you have read and accepted my house rules). Demanding guests have to lower their demands. 

@Ncamsile0 When I give my guests the welcome tour I tell them they need to put anything they use in the dishwasher or wash it up. The same thing is also written in my house manual which is in their room. I've never had problems with people expecting me to clean up after them.

Ncamsile0
Level 1
South Africa

Thank you I will consider the house manual and probably a little note, just as a reminder. 

@Ncamsile0  House manuals are always helpful and wouldn't hurt to add a note in the kitchen just reminding guests are responsible for their own dishes 🙂

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

"Cleaning fee is one time only. If you wish daily cleaning, please accept the fee of $xx. Thank you" 

I'd probably just say "I ain't your maid"