Why are there no consequences for users you don't give reviews?

Answered!
Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

Why are there no consequences for users you don't give reviews?

I've experienced this both as a host and a guest.

1 Best Answer

@Gwen19  Why are you under the impression that just because the guests didn't leave you a review that your review of them wasn't published for other hosts to see? That's not true. Any review you write will be published, regardless of whether the guest leaves one or not.

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Gwen19 and why do you feel there should be consequences and what kind? There are consequences for everything here, that was the only thing missing. There is no point in my opinion, more of the hosts and guests give reviews, not everyone can check out the soace in 14 days and reviews the guest, and not every guest can leave a review in 14 days, they often travel with limited internet. Why the pressure of leaving a review? 

Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

Because as a host, I am punished for guests not leaving reviews, despite me providing great service in a unique location. I have a luxury rental, not a backpacker destination. Many people come for a week or two and then go home. Every lost review affects my possibility of SuperHost status.

Hosts haven't reviewed my property when they haven't lived up to their promises or there have been significant issues. 

Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

Oops! I made a mistake in my other comment!

I meant to write that hosts haven't reviewed my stay when they haven't lived up to their promises. That way they don't have to face a possible bad review. To be clear, a property would have to be horrendous, but listed as top knotch for me to give a negative review. My preference is to speak directly to the host, and work together to improve their delivery of service. 

@Gwen19 

Any host who is providing a horrendous property, and knowingly misrepresenting it, probably wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in working with you to improve their delivery of service anyway, let alone leave a review. 

@Gwen19  Maybe I'm unclear on your posts, but you seem to not understand how the review process works. 

"I meant to write that hosts haven't reviewed my stay when they haven't lived up to their promises. That way they don't have to face a possible bad review."

All reviews which are submitted are published, whether both parties submit a review or not. You can't ward off a bad review by simply declining to leave review.

Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

When I checked the listing for where I stayed, my review was not there. While it wasn't a harsh review, I did state the descrepancies - none of the promised maid service, a filthy courtyard filled with building materials, trash and broken furniture, and no hot water for 3 days, difficulty accessing the wifi, not TV as promised on the listing, no instructions on how to get rid of garbage. All these things are easily remedied by cleaning, an accurate listing, and only promising what you can deliver.

@Gwen19  Check again? Just because the host didn't review you, your review of them should appear. But it will take 14 days after check-out to appear if they didn't submit a review as well. Also, reviews are not in chronological order- you might have to scroll down through all the reviews to find yours.

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Gwen19 @Ana1136 There is punishment to the host when a guest does not leave a review for host after staying. 50% of total trips have to be reviewed by guests. Otherwise, a host is not qualified for Superhost.

Guest is not affected at all when a host does not leave a review to a guest.

Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

Yes, I have been stung by guests not leaving reviews, and it's definitely unfair. I have high ratings overall, and a unique property for my area, and it's not right that I get punished when the guest stay has been more than  taken care off. eg. My last guest came without their supplies, and I drove them all over the pueblo to pick up groceries. The caretaker cleaned their SUV, inside and out. When they got a flat tire, he changed the tire, and took the tire to get repaired. 

As a guest, hosts haven't left reviews when they haven't lived up to their promises on their property. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Gwen19  In my experience the best way to shake a review loose from a guest is to review them first.  They'll get a notification that you've written a review that they can only see when they write one, too.  Most people's curiosity gets the better of them and they write a review.  And most of them don't know that they'll be able to see it after 14 days have passed whether they write one or not.

Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

I've tried that! I'm usually right on top of reviews, writing them as soon as the review notification comes up. 

@Gwen19    Just a suggestion.  Wait for a few days before reviewing. Guests are often in transit after they have checked out for a day or more and the email  ends up in a bunch of emails they need to go through when they return home. Thus it could easily be overlooked in favor of more urgent emails that need an immediate response.

Gwen19
Level 2
El Tránsito, Nicaragua

I'll try that. TY

@Ann72   good point, Ann.  It doesn't work all the time, but most guests DO get curious and end up writing a review of their own.   For a while, I had adopted the attitude that I will onyt review if I get a review first, but writing one for the guest first DOES seem to work much better!  😉 

Now I just wish that Airbnb would stop dinging us for those guests who don't review!