Why do guest rearrange everything?

Deanne26
Level 2
Texas, United States

Why do guest rearrange everything?

This is just venting but it really really drives me insane.

It never fails, i think its been every guest over the past 6 or so years. They want to change something. Each guest has been different. The last guest was the cherry on top. Every knick knack, wall hanging, toiletry item (kleenex, hand soap and so on) were shoved into any space my guest could find. The even took an antique mirror off  the  wall and put it under the bed. All the cabinets in kitchen were rearranged and the furniture was rearranged. What goes through someone's mind that tells them hey! Completely change my hosts place up. I am missing so many of the knick knacks and antique perfume bottles. I sent them a message explaining i was unable to find all my stuff and the reply was "well we didnt take anything". Well you may not have taken anything but the fact remains it is gone and was here when i let you in. So now i am debating on taking everything out of every nook and cranny looking for my stuff and charging you for having to completely set my house back up or calling it gone and making a claim on your deposit. It kills me that i now have to spend an afternoon putting things back in order and that i have to eat the cost of all thats missing. Filing against their deposit just feels wrong but im so tired if it. 

I dont have many rules. I started with 4 and now have well over 20. 

1. Don't  move anything, EVER!

2. Don't use my plush artic white towels or sheets to clean up your dog, your blood, your make-up,  or anything other then your clean body after a shower. ( i provide old towels for most of the, dispisable make-up remover pads, and a special doggie basket with towels just for them and anything you would need for a dog plus so much more)

3. Clean up after any spills or pet accidents. Please dont leave it for the cleaning crew

Those are the last 3 i added. All seem like common sense to me. What am i missing? I refuse to put signs up that say no cig butts on the ground or any other trash, wipe your feet, take your crap with you but leave my expensive hangers and not your wire ones, if you break it you buy it, your dog must be on a leash at all times no matter how well you think it is trained, no gum in bed, keep your muddy shoes off my white couch. It would be wall to wall signs. 

Does anyone else have stuff that drives you crazy?

3 Replies 3
Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. Rules rarely change anything - even when guests read them, and other than gluing things to their place I don't know how you would solve this... 

I live in Denmark, and the style here is scandinavian minimalist, so maybe take inspiration from that, paint everything white, remove all "stuff" and only provide black or dark grey towels? 😉

Our towels are actually dark grey - which works wonders and actually look pretty stylish, and  since they're nice and thick and soft, so though not white, still pretty luxurious. We have a "vintage farmhouse" style with stuff everywhere. People sometimes move a pot to get more space in the window sill,  but I've never had issues with people taking paintings or mirrors off the wall. People are weird! 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Deanne26 maybe you do need to streamline what is in the space?

At least that way there will be fewer items to rearrange.

Who goes on holiday to rearrange cupboards though?!

Melanie33
Level 8
Ashcott, United Kingdom

That’s just crazy.  Fancy being on holiday and rearranging the kitchen.  I don’t even do that at home unless I have to!!!