Why is my refund amount less than what I paid?

Mohammad6
Level 1
Cincinnati, OH

Why is my refund amount less than what I paid?

I recently booked a house for $291 (minus $35 credit I had) and paid $256 with my Amex. However I had to cancel the reservation due to some personal reasons. The host had a moderate cancellation policy and I cancelled well in advance (9 days before). However, the refund issued to my card is only $221. Why is the refund amount less than the amount I paid inspite of having the full refund policy? It is not mentioned anywhere that the full refund doesn't in fact mean full refund for Airbnb.

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mohammad6

Updated...I think you should have got back everything...

Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a full refund, including all fees. Cancel within 7 days of the trip and get a 50% refund of the total nightly rate, as well as a full refund of fees

THere are some additional conditions that might be worth checking first:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/home/updated_cancellation_policies#moderate

If this doesn't answer the question then contact AirBnB

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Mohammad6

Until recently you were not refunded the airbnb fees on a cancellation.  Could it be that you booked before the new cancellation policy were implemented ?  

Ingrid5
Level 2
Tauranga, New Zealand

Hi,  it is with interest that I read your post Mohammed.  

I too have booked accommodation and received much less back than I paid for.

In my case, I had been in touch with the host before booking.  I knew the host had 2 listings.  

When I got to book, the listing that I wanted was already taken.  ( or so I thought ) So I booked the other one. The very next day my host told me that she had blocked the first listing for me.  Did I still want it?  

I cancelled the booking I had made for her second listing, and proceded confirming the first listing.  (so all of this happenng in 24 hours) 

I made the booking in March - to use in October.... so we're not talking about 7 days before the time, were talking almost 7 months here...

It was a simple mistake to make but it cost $80 in service fee!   My host has asked AirBnb to refund the money.. but that has been impossible to arrange.  

It makes me wonder if AirBnB has become too large.  It can no longer be of service to individual needs.  As a host myself, it saddens me that there are these complications which will eventually make people look for alternative companies to book their accommodation with.

regards,

Ingrid

@Ingrid5

It seems your host did not know how to work the page.  It is easily possible to transfer a guest from one unit to another using the the change or cancel tool.  This has to be done from the host's end.

Now, that you know, I suggest you contact airbnb and explain.