Will I lose superhost status if I remove instant book AND adopt strict cancellation policy?

Laurie161
Level 3
Hamilton, Canada

Will I lose superhost status if I remove instant book AND adopt strict cancellation policy?

I am tired of having people book too quickly, without reading the house rules. In some cases, it can be several days before they respond to messages and realize that their booking isn't appropriate - and then they cancel. That means that others who may have wanted to book my home, may have missed the opportunity, because my place was booked and unavailable during that time.

I've read that you lose superhost status if you adopt strict cancellation policies. Furthermore, I've heard that Airbnbn puts you further down in the search listings, if you don't allow instant book.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the facts here?

I need a solution to stop this - it's happening far too often... and I'm tired of people booking without any forethought, and all the consequences of their thoughtlessness, falling on me.

8 Replies 8
Bruna-and-Siana0
Level 10
Santa Clara, CA

@Laurie161 No, you won't lose superhost if you turn off instant booking and change to strict cancellation (unless this is a new rule, but I dont think so). You'll lose it if you cancel an existing reservation, which it doesn't seem you'll do it.  However, if you turn off instant booking, your listing might be pushed down so you might have less views and maybe less bookings. 

Thank you...

Perhaps if I change to strict cancellation - but leave the instant booking open, I can maintain my place in the listings - and people will be more cautious before they book?

I had 3 cancellations in a row over the past few days. It's most frustrating. So I will give this a try and see if it helps...

Thank you again for the response.

I don't think the cancellation policy has any effect on the ranking. 

Also, if you get an instant booking that you are uncomfortable, you can call AirBnB and cancell penalty free in most of cases. If the guest will break house rules (bring pets when you don't allow it, bring more guests, etc), you can call AirBnB and they will cancel it. We had third-party bookings (not allowed by AB policy) or people who wanted to bring a pet. AB always canceled it without any penalties. 

I do not want to wait until they arrive... and these are other issues beyind pets.

People who eat in their room, people whose SUV won't fit in my parking spot (despite a clear warning that parking is only available for small/medium cars). No guests over or entertaining.. etc.

Once they are here - and staying with you - you can't do anything about those things, because they can then give you a rating and if you do anything negative, they will rate you poorly and you lose superhost.

These are things they don't read when they instant book. If they send an inquiry - I can ask them about these things... and weed them out in advance.

Even with instant book, I do have this conversation, but some people wait a week or more to respond - so in that time, my home is booked and I could be losing bookings from others.  So it's not right that they can book my home and then cancel a week or 2 later without any repurcussions - all because they didn't bother to read the listing, or my message at the time of booking.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Laurie161

Hello Laurie, rather than dump IB, which incidentally you will find very hard to do! The system will use every trick in the book to keep you in the IB flock.

Why don't you just tighten-up who can use IB.....only guests who are recommended by other Superhosts, there are a number of booking filters you can attach to IB and it would be better to do that than throw the whole Instant Book thing away.

I was firmly against IB until I was forced to start using it if I wished to remain anywhere near prominent in search rankings, and I have to tell you it is the best thing I could have done. More than 75% of my bookings are IB's and I love them, they don't want to haggle over something, ask lots of questions, offer a series of demands....they like what they see and just want to pull out their credit card and book.

Long live Instant Book I say.

Cheers.....Rob

I just had 3 IB cancellations in a row - because they didn't read the profile.

I don't want people who can't take the time to read my profile. I have very specific house rules - and I don't want unlimited bookings. I live here, so I am very particular about who I share my house with.

I would much rather have fewer good bookings - than a whole host of people people who disrespect my home.  And worse yet - a bunch of people who book my room, and then cancel 1-3 weeks later... when someone good could have booked my room for that period, or a longer period - but didn't because this person blocked that time period off with their unnecessary booking.

I can't agree more @Robin4. We have IB with the "only recomended by other hosts" and "goverment verified ID" filters. In our area, we wouldn't get bookings if IB was off. Even when I am a guest, I usually search for listings with IB as I want immediate confirmation. 

@Laurie161 Some hosts add a keyword/passcode in the listing description. Guest must mention it when booking. You can use that to see if they have read the descritption. I would also send a message confirming they understood it. If they dont reply in 24h, then call AirBnB and cancel the booking. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Laurie161 I got tired of guests Instant Booking without reading my listing or House Rules. So now it is in my Summary AND in my House Rules that they must write me in the Airbnb Message Thread that they have read my entire listing and the House Rules (ALL of them) and state that they agree to abide by these while in my rental. My commercial insurer also appreciates that I do this. It's been working out great so far; I may get a few less bookings because of it, but I will have fewer headaches as well. Life is too short to be stressed about my rental all the time. Plus, I live on the same property, and I need to be comfortable with whoever is in my rental. This is my HOME I am sharing, after all. I think that Airbnb and other booking sites forget that at times. Maybe even most of the time. But I live here, so I never do and I have a right to feel comfortable in my own (shared) space.