an obvious 5 star review is counted as 4 star

Answered!
Herwig0
Level 3
Ericeira, PT

an obvious 5 star review is counted as 4 star

5star review shows as 4 star5star review shows as 4 star

so I received obviously a 5 star review for my home. BUT the review shows at the guest as a 4 star only, also my "standrad" percentage fell from 86 to 84%

How comes?

Do I understand anything wrong?

thanks

Herwig

1 Best Answer
Joseph19
Level 3
Paris, France

The same happened to me. I am also a  frequent Airbnb traveler as well. I feel strongly that this is not acceptable and that the algorithm should alert the reviewer of the incoherence between an overall  4 star rating and five star ratings in each of the six categories. Keep in mind that if you click less than five star in any category, the algorithm asks you follow-up questions. This doesn't happen for the first overall rating because the six sub categories are expected to provide clarification. The other potential solution is to elimintae the overall rating and simply average the six categories. The current situation is totally illogical and undermines the credibility of the whole system. Finally, it is more than likely that it is a typo error or lack of attention by the reviewer that caused this incoherence, this is why it is imperative that the software should not allow this scenario to happen and force the reviewer to clarify. 

View Best Answer in original post

32 Replies 32

In my experience, that's how it works (at least since 2018). Also there is no "aging off" of older reviews anymore (as it used to be). This means for example that you decide to renovate and redecorate your place because of to many 4stars. After re-modelling (and investing money) into your place, you will stay with an lower avarage (given for the old "version" of your home) for many years until they eventually match out. remember you need four 5stars to match one 4star (80%). So the only possibility would be to create a complete new product page, which I doubt would be possible for the same address. So you are stuck...

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Herwig0 

Yes, it is the overall rating that counts - the other ratings are more or less for information.  

What caused them to give 4* for overall would be anybody's guess and my Portuguese is a bit rusty to put it mildly, but there is a mention of "roupa" - is this referring to bedclothes/bedlinen ? If so, that could be the reason, as this would not be covered in the other categories.  Neither would the rock hard mattresses I have come across when travelling in Portugal 🙂

I once gave a 4* for overall because there was a terrible smell of sewage in the apartment that was not covered in any undercategories.  I would have given a 3* but for the fact that I know the owner personally.  I always wondered why he had all these fabulous reviews, but not Superhost status. I got my answer when we checked in. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Herwig0I believe @Steve143 is correct in that a guest can leave 5 stars in each category but 4 stars overall and this then counts as 4 stars in your percentage, i.e. the 80% 5 star reviews you need to be a Superhost.

However, I am not sure if the category ratings do not count at all. From what I understand, these contribute to the overall rating, where I think you have to get 4.8 out of 5 for Superhost status. Airbnb has confirmed on the forums that Location does not count towards this rating though. I assume then that the other categories all do, but if anyone knows that this is wrong, please do correct me.

I had the same situation where a guest left a lovely review and 5 stars in every category but 4 overall. I could not understand why as she seemed to be so happy while she was here. So, I wrote her something like, "I see you left 5 stars in every category, so I just wondered if you could give me some feedback as to why you left 4 stars overall and which areas I could improve on..." She was very surpised as she said she meant to leave 5 and it must be a mistake!

So, I contacted Airbnb CS and they actually changed the review to 5 stars once the guest had confirmed that she did indeed intend to leave 5. 

Of course, this would only work if your guest made a mistake, which I imagine is unusual. 

Hi  @Huma0 how can it contatct Airbnb CS? Because i have the same problem, tahnk you so much.

@Greycel-Y-Pablo0

I know, it is not that easy to find the contact details. I use a number specifically for the UK so it's no use to you.

However, here you can find the guide for contacting Airbnb:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245#M5...

Scroll down a bit and you will find a list of numbers by country, including Argentina.

I hopet hat helps.

@Greycel-Y-Pablo0

PS in my experience, it is definitely better to call them with a problem rather than email. At least, that seems to work better for me here in the UK. I get through to the 'Superhost Hotline' but to be honest, I got through just as quickly before I was a Superhost.

MaryBeth22
Level 4
Menomonie, WI

It could also be as simple as the guest hit the wrong "star" when doing the final thing!

Not to worry!

I do not think Airbnb uses things like "location" to downgrade you. My location isn't great--but it's also within easy access to everything I say it's easy access to, and my abode is clean with good beds and high quality linens. I've had a few guests report my "location" as four-star (which it, honestly, is)--but even with the location not being "idyllic"--which I disclose in my listing page--it's hardly a "horrible scary or threatening" location, and it seems Airbnb understands this without being punitive to me.

Joseph19
Level 3
Paris, France

The same happened to me. I am also a  frequent Airbnb traveler as well. I feel strongly that this is not acceptable and that the algorithm should alert the reviewer of the incoherence between an overall  4 star rating and five star ratings in each of the six categories. Keep in mind that if you click less than five star in any category, the algorithm asks you follow-up questions. This doesn't happen for the first overall rating because the six sub categories are expected to provide clarification. The other potential solution is to elimintae the overall rating and simply average the six categories. The current situation is totally illogical and undermines the credibility of the whole system. Finally, it is more than likely that it is a typo error or lack of attention by the reviewer that caused this incoherence, this is why it is imperative that the software should not allow this scenario to happen and force the reviewer to clarify. 

I cannot thank you more for this insight! As I'm not an airbnb traveller, I've never in my live filled out traveller's review. What you state in your comment concerning the algorithm is absolutely correct, it just doesn't make sense to get 5 stars from all subcategories and then a 4 star click overrides all (and once I've even got a 3 star, for my house being located in the center, but in a too quiet neighbourhood !!!)

I believe I cannot turn @Joseph19 answer into the accepted one, as I've spent my vote with another answer earlier. Anyway and for all readers this is definitely the answer I would vote for right now.

I couldn't agree more!!! How do we get AirBnb to see this and make a change!?

@Joseph19 wrote:

Robinson-Lee0
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

It is ridiculous! I believe part of the issue is that people consider "5-star" to be luxury accommodations. It is ingrained and commonly understood outside of the Airbnb app that  5-star equals the Ritz. However, my older character home is not the Ritz nor is it listed as such. The rating system should use a different set of criteria and change the language to better reflect a fair and neutral rating for the experience they booked. For instance, Location can be a rating killer! The guest presumably does a search for location and selects a listing based on that search. I cannot change the neighbourhood or the distance to "downtown" for instance, when it clearly states in my  listing that we are in a quiet family neighbourhood that is a 10 minute drive to downtown ... it is disappointing to say the least that Airbnb, with all it's global success, cannot come up with a better system for reviews. 

How to reward those exceptional experiences? There are few stays which cannot compare with  the ordinary uneventful stay. There are places which are not expensive but the host is creative and makes your stay outstanding. After current experience I will give only 3 stars to normal stays 4 stars to good stays and 5 stars to outstanding.

I was too generous and monster superhosts appeared.

Please do not book my place.

Dave197
Level 2
Whitefield, NH

I get the same kind of review. Guest books my place in downtown this give low rating for my loscation. WTF. 

On the other hand, I get 5 star in all category this an over all 4 star, is there no logic. 

Perhaps a better way would be to average the individuals rating in to a final composit rating. 

This rating system is illogical and foolish.