cancellations

Jeri1
Level 2
Lilburn, GA

cancellations

We had guest who were scheduled for Sept 22-29 just cancel. We do have a strict policy so yesterday was the cut off date but I don't mind refunding her fully this far ahead. When I go to offer the refund, it says that Airbnb will deduct 439.00 from our next payout. We never recieved any money from this reservation so how can they make a deduction from our next payout? How does this work?

Thanks

9 Replies 9
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Jeri1 are you attempting this via the resolution center ("send/request money") or in response to a prompt on the notice of the guest's cancellation?

Hi, I have looked at both ways but I beieve the resolution center is where it should happen, correct/

@Jeri1 no, if you have not received the payment you should not do it there. You should have just proceeded with the option to refund in the cancellation notice.

@Jeri1

Based on what I understand, any additional refund you provide now is out of your own pocket (from your next payout) with the understanding that Airbnb will give you what you are owed according to the cancellation policy in place when the intended check in date comes. 

Just because the host decides to issue a full refund doesn't mean Airbnb will relinquish their right to hold on the the funds until it is time to issue the payout to the host.  

First rule of handling refunds on Airbnb - never refund money you haven't yet received.

Thank you for that insight. So if I refund her now, I will get repaid the end of September, correct? So I should just wait until the end of September and when I get the payout, then refund her. That would work, right?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jeri1  The next payout is your payout for the cancelled reservation which will occur 24 hours after check in of the cancelled booking.  If you wait until the payout has been made, then the refund will have to come out of the next payout, which will be an unrelated booking.   @Jessica-and-Henry0  correct about Air BNB holding the funds.

So I should wait to refund her until I actually get the payout the end of September?

@Jeri1  Yes wait. DO NOT REFUND anything until actual cash has been given to you by AirBNB. If you refund they will take the money from you and a lot of times they get refunded from both AirBnB and you if you do this, then you have a fight to get your money back. Tell the guest you do not deal with the booking funds that is all on AirBnB's end. When you get the funds, you can then refund if you want to. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Jeri1 when a guest cancels before check-in, you get a notice of the cancellation, including an option to refund.  Any refund you make via this method will give the guest an immediate refund and stop your payout on their check-in date.  On the other hand, when you send a guest money via the resolution center, that amount will be deducted from your next payout, and will not stop your payout on their check-in date.  So when a guest cancels, and you want to refund them, do it via the option in the cancellation notice, NOT the resolution center.