costs etc

Answered!

costs etc

hi guys,

am new to airbnb. live and host in Cyprus. everyday get messages from them asking to lower prices. today was told "tip of the day" E9 per day for a room. this does not even cover the amenities. 

do we have to prove any breakfast or tea/coffee etc as well.

can someone who is versed in this area please help.

can i charge per person in the room which is for 2 persons

thanks Charles

1 Best Answer

hi Helen,

many thanks for the info. do you provide breakfast as well or do they do their own. there is no mention on airbnb on this subject anywhere.

yes i have started to do a costing and as what Ana said we are here to make a profit. 

have just looked around my area and most are charging more than me and this is because airbnb were shall i say advising me!! (haha).

finally, other than linen, towels etc what else is one expected to provide for free!!

thanks

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Charles687 don't even consider the Airbnb suggestions. They are so off and nowhere near the real prices. Just set up your prices according to what you offer and your competitors. You should ve able to pay all the costs and make an earning, what is the point of hosting otherwise. 

anna, many thanks and as i said i am new. how can i really find out what my competition is offering. is there any way you can help me to find out

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Charles687 just type in your city in the search criteria on Airbnb and you will see all the properties there, look at them, do a research and compare what each of them offer at what price and you will get an idea about the prices. 

Ana, many thanks for your help

ana,

you are a heart. if i am ever in your part of the world or you come here the drinks are on me. rip off airbnb. i am giving away for free. i am going to change all my prices. thanks again

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Charles687 

I would also suggest you put together a budget to cover all the costs of running your airbnb - utilities, taxes, cleaning, your time in managing it, any food and toiletries supplied etc. to give you an idea of your daily costs.

This will help you understand what you should be charging to make this a profitable endeavour for you and then as a comparison look for similar places in your area to see what they charge.

By the way I charge more than my local competitors (and I still get all the bookings I need).

hi Helen,

many thanks for the info. do you provide breakfast as well or do they do their own. there is no mention on airbnb on this subject anywhere.

yes i have started to do a costing and as what Ana said we are here to make a profit. 

have just looked around my area and most are charging more than me and this is because airbnb were shall i say advising me!! (haha).

finally, other than linen, towels etc what else is one expected to provide for free!!

thanks

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Charles687 You should offer linen, towels, toiletries - at least hand wash and toilet paper. I also add cofee, tea and water, maybe sometimes some fruit but I don't advertise as providing any of those because sometimes I might not have the time to go and buy them, this way I don't feel the pressure. I would never provide breakfast since people can be rarely pleased and from what I read at least in my area, people always complain about the breakfast in comments. 

ana,

all the above will be offered but NO breakfast as i totally agree with you. make your own or go out and get it.

thanks again Ana.

I am brand new to this. I appreciate Charles'/Ana's comment about breakfast, I was thinking of offering it.  I am putting flowers in, and put a card in for a guest on an anniversary night away. They posted a very positive review, suggesting a better TV.  First guest suggested olive oil and sanitary towels! This is going to be weird! After this booking I later changed it to £60  from £50, but I seem to have a guest paying £40! Do ABB&B control price? I thought I did that. I have someone coming for 4 nights at £154. I guess that's what I get after ABB&B take their part.  

@Patricia3390  Check your discount settings. There is a 20% discount applied to the first 3 bookings by default. Turn it off if you don't want to offer it.

You don't have to "guess" what Airbnb's cut is- you can see on your payout info what the service charge was that Airbnb deducted.