discovered unapproved guests after checkout.

Rick10
Level 1
Chicago, IL

discovered unapproved guests after checkout.

I may have learned a valuable lesson on this one as a host, but figured I would throw it out there to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

I had 4 medical students come to stay for a month while they studied for a board exam.  Several weeks before their arrival they asked to add another student to the apartment.  My place can sleep 6, but I charge an extra guest fee for more than 4.  The guy making the booking declined additional guests after I informed him of the additional fee.  

I am a hands off host. If you need something I am available, but I will not hover and "check in" on my guests to simply keep tabs.

After speaking with my cleaning staff I have discovered that they actually were a group of 6!!  In addition, they overstayed their check out by several hours and completely trashed the apartment, no damages just garbage dirt and filth everywhere.  I've already left a luke warm review for them but now that I've discovered the truth I want to blow my top!!    

Any resolution advice, beyond; keep a closer eye on the coming and going of guests.

Thanks,

R

1 Reply 1
Juliette11
Level 4
Denpasar, Indonesia

Dear Rick, 

I am sorry to hear about this experience. I would make sure that there is somebody who supervises your place when you have guests staying. I guess that you were not around your place when you had the guests staying. As soon as you notice that something is not the way it should, contact them through Airbnb and make an alteration for right number of guests and adjust the price. If they do not accept, meet them in person and explain the situation. Mention clearly that only the number of guests booked for are allowed in your place at any time and that visitors are not allowed (this can avoid problems in the future). 

Make sure you or your cleaning staff is there upon check-out to make sure everything is in the original state. Confirm with the staff if the guest respected the property, houserules etc. Never leave a feedback before this. The review might not be important for you, but it is for other hosts on Airbnb to see a reliable review. 

I would contact Airbnb regarding this issue as they can probably still charge the credit card for the additional guests. Try to have them admit through Airbnb messages that they have stayed with six guests as Airbnb can read through the message hirstory. 

Make sure you supervise your guests well during their stay!