how do you feel about not seeing a profile picture when you get requests? and with no reviews?

Fsa0
Level 2
Miami, FL

how do you feel about not seeing a profile picture when you get requests? and with no reviews?

This is my third request from guests where there are no pictures or reviews, it says that I'll see it once the guest books.

I have the settings to send requests and no instant bookings if they don't meet this requirement. 

I feel it's a disadvantage to hosts and it should be a MUST for Airbnb to have someone that registers with them.

Opinions?

Thanks

28 Replies 28
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Fsa0 I said the same on another thread, if we are not able to see their picture or reviews until they book the same should apply to us, they shouldn't be able to see out photo and reviews until they book. What is the point of leaving a review when they don't help other hosts deciding whether to accept a guest or not. And also the photo is an important part, we let guests in out homes, this is not a hotel. I agree that we shouldn't discriminate against guests but this is not the way to do it because if a host isn't comfortable he will cancel anyway it is just another inconvenience to call Airbnb and I am sure they have enough work already without adding the cancelations because of hosts not knowing to whom they approve reservations. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Fsa0, it is not that you cannot see their reviews, it is that they do not have any reviews yet.

@Ana1136, if a host cancels a guest based on seeing their photo, Airbnb will likely flag that host for discrimination; Unless the photo is clearly in violation of something.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Emilia42 someone else said a few days ago that they couldn't see the reviews until the guest booked. I can see them so I don't know what is going on but I have read a few similar complaints. And yes I am talking about photos that are in violation of something. There have been profile photos with guns, knives and such.. I don't want that kind of person in my home and if that means I could be removed from Airbnb I would gladly deactivate my account myself. I don't care about race, religion, sexual orientation, on the contrary, I welcome diversity and I support what Airbnb is trying to achieve here but I don't feel like this is the way. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I can see a guests reviews before they book too @Ana1136 

I am not sure why another host reported that they couldn't.

@Ana1136@Helen3, I have read a few instances about this as well. I am not sure if this is the case on some accounts or if the hosts are just confused. As far as I know, Airbnb has not changed anything about a user’s profile.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

My feeling is more that it is some hosts who are just confused 🙂 @Emilia42 

I'm not consufed and Ive been a host for a few years now, something hs changed and it feels it is not on in favor of hosts

Valerie617
Level 2
Coventry, United Kingdom

Hi,

I totally agree, it is not possible to see a guest photo anymore until they have booked and also, you have to add it as a requirement in your listing to add a photo.  Because Airbnb decided that guests don't have to have a photo anymore, Airbnb will not stand on your side to request the guest to send a photo either!

Airbnb changed things to favour guests only, but it is us, hosts, who are penalised!! We give guests trust, we open our homes, we check them in at night time sometimes and we can't even see the face of the person we are opening our doors to?  

I hope there will be loads of hosts feeling uncomfortable as we are; maybe something will change!  

I absolutely agree that a photo of the person who is staying at my home should have their photo posted. I live alone and want to know who to expect when my guest opens my front door and enters my home. It doesn't help to post a picture of their dog!  It is a safety issue especially with a woman who lives alone, or a man for that matter!

I can't see any reviews or pictures as of a few weeks. Not sure why Airbnb is doing something like this to Hosts

hi Emilia, I think that all of you who CAN see what others can't as myself is because you are all Level 10 as I see you all have a badge.

As per the comment about the photo or no photo you refer to, it has nothing to do with discrimination at all but if a guest deliberately does not ad a profile picture nor writes anything on his/her Bio, I get the "message" that they have something fishy they want to hide so I don't engage with those "possible guests" . And now with this new Airbnb feature of not showing comments and pictures until they book makes me feel  that hosts and their properties  are not being cared for in a way.

@Fsa0,  the levels have nothing to do with Airbnb. You just started posting in this community so you are at a lower level. Start posting and start getting thumbs up for your posts and you will climb up in levels. I am only stating that Airbnb has removed the option to see profile photos before a reservation is confirmed as a way to combat discrimination (so they say.) Guest were being discriminated against so Airbnb put this policy in place. 

@Fsa0 Yes, you should be able to see a guest's reviews and profile (altho not the profile photo until after booking is confirmed). How are you trying to access this info, that it's not working for you?

The badge has nothing to do with the levels, nor with the info on guests a host has access to. The badge indicates Superhost, the levels are what Emilia describes to you, only having to do with activity on this community forum. They are totally unrelated.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Fsa0 

it is not helpful and it will lead to more declinings then before.