how to contact AIR BNB to request they retract a cancellation fine?

Patricia91
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

how to contact AIR BNB to request they retract a cancellation fine?

I cancelled a booking due to selling the apartment which is extenuating circumstances-but trying to contact them is a real runaround. Can anyone advise?

Surely threres an email or phone number for hosts to contact AIR BNB?

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Unfortunately, I dont think you'll have much luck since "selling your house" isn't *really* an Extenuating Circumstance.  Extenuating circumstances are usually sudden in nature and selling your home is a long process with a known end-date - not really sudden or an emergency.

In order to try to make a claim, you'll need to Contact Airbnb

thanks for your advice Cynthia and Chris-but I accepted an unexpected offer out of the blue for my apartment so it was sudden so

I will try reclaim this money .

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Patricia91

Patricia, you probably won't get a lot of sympathy on the forum I am afraid. This is the sort of thing which trashes the Airbnb brand and builds suspicion into the minds of potential guests. This guest has no doubt made other plans that revolve around her stay with you, and with the click of a mouse on your part their plans are gone in a puff of smoke. They have to start all over again!

Before you signed this 'offer you could not refuse' you should have realised you had made a committment to someone else and cotacted both that 'reserved guest' that you accepted, and Airbnb and sort to have the guest and Airbnb work out an alternative to your accommodation.

As everyone else will say, this is not an extenuating circumstance Patricia and if you were the guest and had been treated the same way you would be rightfully indignant.

Your post was all about you and how you can reclaim your money, nothing about the guest you have let down, and I would be disappointed if Airbnb did release you from penalty.

As I said this is trashing the brand, and along with most others you won't get any sypathy from me!

Rob.

Selling the apartment is not an Extenuating Circumstance for Airbnb.  Here is the policy: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy  

If you want to try to talk to them, use the search box above and look for the Community Help Guide to contacting Airbnb.  

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

So let me get this straight.

You get an offer you can't refuse and to heck with the guests.

Gotcha!

Good luck with that refund.

I really could not say where the extenuating circumstances line is drawn, the wording is vague and I have seen many things considered to be extenuating circumstances that would not fall within my definition, all you can do is try.

David
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

As has been said, this isn't extenuating circumstances and you've effectively damaged Airbnb's brand, because guests hate being cancelled on.