how to prevent guest ruining your property?

how to prevent guest ruining your property?

AIrbnb doent allow to take a damage deposit, It doesnt take the damage deposit as other platforms do... BUT what to do if people are don't care about the property, they leave a mess, dirty dishing, rubbish in the house, thinking that everything is paid and they can do what ever they want with no respect to all the efforts  and money the host is doing to make the space attractive and confortable and clean !!! if people now that they are not going to be taken any money for their bad behaviour they don't care at all!! they run air conditionts all day long non stop, specially now, when the price for electricity is double and the profit you are getting just coverying the cost of electricity and cleaning!  There is no option to charge an extra payment for overconsumption of the electricity, if people don't respect. If people don't respect teh house rules how to pubish them?? If the host have a damage deposit then it will be possible to take a part to cover the exctra expenses! what to do-  to raise the price?  its not the way out as some guests are very fine, and they respect the rules and take care of the house, leave the place tidy and don't spend a lot a/c... What is the solution for the decieved hosts?

1 Reply 1
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Irina13 So sorry you have encountered too many disrespectful guests as it relates to taking care of your property and respecting house rules. 

So far, I’ve been very fortunate; but if it were to happen, and it most surely will, I’ll treat it as the cost of doing business, as long as nothing is damaged. 

I recommend always checking the reviews on guests and in your house rules note the things you want guest to know. Some examples of my guest rules for LTRs (2 weeks or more):

1. Trash pickup is on Tuesdays at noon. Please put trash out Monday night or Tuesday morning. I provide trash bags. 

2.  I provide clean towels, bed linens and bath mats every other week. Please put dirty laundry in green laundry bag provided and leave outside your door Friday nights or Saturday mornings. 

3.  I am available to tidy the rental. However, If you prefer to tidy yourself, I want to thank you and cleaning supplies, broom/dustpan, and vacuum cleaner are located in closet. 

In my case, all guests have done so. And, I don’t know this for an absolute fact, but I don’t charge a cleaning fee and wonder if guests feel if they’re paying one, they don’t have to cleanup behind themselves. Or maybe I have been truly luck and have gotten some great guests.