pets

Barbara1696
Level 1
Paris, France

pets

I asked a host if I could bring a small hypoallergenic dog to the property as the host had a no pet rule.  The answer was that the Airbnb insists on no pet rule.   As I searched through the community discussions, I see that it is up to the individual hosts whether to accept pets or not.  Is that correct?  Or, is there some "best practice" or recommendation by Airbnb not to accept pets?  Thanks.  

9 Replies 9
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Barbara1696 each host can decide what is best for them. There are a lot of pet friendly listings, just include that filter, why insist on a host that doesn't accept them. It is obvious that he doesn't want pets just doesn't know how to say "no". It is not just for alergens, there are many other reasons why hosts decide against pets on their properties. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Barbara1696 I would also add that hosts have no guarantee if they host pets: any pet damage isn't covered by the Host Guarantee, so if you don't pay for your little darling's damage, they don't get reimbursed. There is a definitely disincentive to host pets.

Just accept that no means no and move on. There are lots of dog friendly listings out there, especially for smaller dogs. Set your filter to only show places that allow pets and search again.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Why not take the path of least resistance, @Barbara1696?

No dogs means exactly that, not even super-cute hypoallergenic ones that looks like teddy bears.

Romana19
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

U mě jsou mazlíčci vítání,mám to i na svém profilu,je na každém hostiteli,jak se rozhodne

Cheri38
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

We have always had a no pet rule, assuming that that policy would bring in more people and result in a cleaner rental. 

But for a variety of reasons we are considering accepting a guest with a small dog for a month’s stay.

I’m eager to hear from other hosts who do accept pets on what their experience has been. Are the potential problems worth it? Have you used the security deposit to cover any damage due to pets? Anyone had problems with .”barking” that annoyed you or the neighbors? 

Thanks for your replies.  Cheri in Minneapolis

@Cheri38 Accepting dogs works really well for us: a lot of our guests bring them along. I would say it's boosted our occupancy rate quite a bit. In 2 years of hosting, I've only ever had one dog that was a pain and I wouldn't host again: most of them are great. If it would make you feel more secure about it, maybe put in restrictions like only dogs under a certain weight are allowed, or dogs have to be crated if they're left alone.  We also provide paw towels and old sheets to cover furniture if the weather is messy, which helps.

However, it's important to note that the Airbnb "security deposit" isn't a security deposit, it's just an amount they could be charged if there is damage. Airbnb has to agree with you that there is damage that needs to be covered by the guest, or the guest has to agree to cover the damage. Pet damage isn't covered by the host guarantee either.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Barbara1696   the host should have been more honest,  but some people are conflict averse.  It is not airbnb that insists on a no pet rule, but the host.  However, there are many airbnbs that accept pets, so you should have no trouble finding one that will accommodate your dog.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I can't imagine why any host would accept pets especially cats. The often leave a smell and ruin/scratch the floors or rugs easily. I once rented to a person with a cat only because he seemed like a great tenant. Big mistake i will never make again. Brand new floors had scratches on them.

@Sean433 For us, we have dogs, and it's tough to travel with them: that's why we host them. Our house is already dog friendly.

Cats are a different story... we don't host them. I agree, they stink and they damage things. No thanks.