spices in jars or packets

Answered!
Tammy321
Level 2
Wellsville, KS

spices in jars or packets

I'm new to airbnb and just finished my first rental.  I have spices from dollar tree in my unit (salt, pepper, onion salt, italian seasoning, garlic, and cinnamon).  I also have olive oil and cooking oil.  My question is:  Is it ok to have the spice jars or do I need to provide individual packets?  So, if my first renter used the onion salt - do I have to replace the whole thing or just leave it as is for the next renter?   Same with sugar and creamer?   

Thank you in advance!  

1 Best Answer

Just get the cheapest but make sure they look clean after they’ve been used. Don’t get new ones every time unless you are charging top dollar!  I wipe over the sauce and oil bottles in my cleaning routine and often my guests leave seasonings themselves so I think the main thing is your kitchen should look welcoming and hygienic.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have no clue what 'dollar-tree' is. @Tammy321 

I would always use glass jar for spices as they last longer.

Dollar Tree is a store in the US.  Thank you for your reply.  I'm just trying to figure out if glass jars are ok or if I need to do individual packages (that are more costly).   

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah...this is an international forum so we won't necessarily be familiar with country specific shops @Tammy321  🙂

As I said I would use glass jars.

What do other hosts in your area use? 

Good info!  I'm trying to learn what the other hosts in my area would use!  New to the forum 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tammy321  I should think glass jars are just fine. They look classier than a bunch of little plastic packages, anyway. Most hosts these days are trying to reduce unnecessary garbage and single-use items, opting for things like refillable water bottles, or Brita-type filters, liquid soap and shampoo in refillable containers that are topped up and cleaned between guests, etc. If a guest is so paranoid that they wouldn't use spices from a glass jar with a shaker lid, they can go out and buy their own. 

Just get the cheapest but make sure they look clean after they’ve been used. Don’t get new ones every time unless you are charging top dollar!  I wipe over the sauce and oil bottles in my cleaning routine and often my guests leave seasonings themselves so I think the main thing is your kitchen should look welcoming and hygienic.

My confusion is this and I have multiple vacation properties.... how safe is it to have open containers from other guests in a vacation home that has been used by prior guests?  It doesn't seem right... perhaps it is a trust issue but I'm leaning away from anything that includes opened containers if for no other reason, liability. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tammy321  I even have a basket of toiletry items guests leave behind in the bathroom for other guests to use if needed. I find guests often choose not to pack a lot of these items if they are headed home. So they have left almost full containers of shaving foam, sunscreen, shampoo, bath gel, etc. If it's just a quarter full, or the dregs, I'll use it myself, or offer to family or friends, because I hate waste. I wouldn't leave anything like a roll-on deodorant or anything people touch to their bodies, but something with a squeeze or pump lid or a spray wouldn't put me off if I were a guest.

I point out the basket, which has an ever-revolving selection, to guests, letting them know it's all been sterilized (I wipe everything down with anti-bacterial wipes), and to help themselves to whatever they want and I do notice that lots of them have made use of that stuff. I'm sure there are some people who are squeamish about using things others have, but plenty are grateful that it's available.